Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone thought of this? >

Anyone thought of this?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone thought of this?

Old 02-09-2007, 05:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Anyone thought of this?

I have to think even my heavy arrow is traveling +/-300fps. My arrow....weighing in at 460g+.....is packing one HECKUVA wallop. I don't need a "test" to tell me what it does to deer. I've witnessed it, myself.

If you're pulling 50#'s or your bow's out of tune......I'd take a minute or two to ponder such tests. When you're pulling what most of you guys are.......do you think it REALLY matters?

And the log analogy......It would seem to me one could also use trying to bust a log with a machete as an example. If it hits it perfectly.....it'll pierce through. I'd rather take that same log and ABSOLUTELY SHATTER IT with the force of a chiseled sledge hammer. Right behind that head is a shaft. I want to know my shaft is gonna be able to go through that bone, too.....not just my head.

ALL of these heads will get the job done. We witness this every year. I also happen to believe (in my limited time shooting broadheads) .....that YOUR PERSONAL SETUP is a HUGE determining factor (or should be) in your broadhead choice. What's right for you.....may not be right for me.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:03 AM

Thought I may as well chime in here. Here is a photo of a deer I took 2 years ago and the jewelry I found in the chest cavity. The Bear head and shaft were 9 inches total. aluminum shaft snapped off (no surprise there) they were covered infat and tissue from being there for at least a year. I shoot Gold tips with a Thunderhead 125 and find them very deadly. I think any arrow today will be deadly if you hit the sweet spot every time but you need a head that will do the job on the imperfect shots more.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:17 AM

Here are a few more photos of a bear femur bone with my broadhead lodged into it. I was hunting in a ground blind , shot was about 20 yards , the thunderhead 125 went through the bear and lodged into the leg bone on opposite side. Arrow snapped off at the furrel, bear was recovered about 50 yards away.