Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Long Range Shooting >

Long Range Shooting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Long Range Shooting

Old 02-06-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Long Range Shooting

I’ve booked a Caribou hunt for next fall and have some questions about longer range shooting.

I’m a Midwest whitetail hunter which means I practice at ranges of 40 yards and less. Due to the longer shots possible if not likely in the open tundra I’m anticipating practicing and preparing myself to increase my range to 60 yards. I plan on buying a new bow and accessories optimal for those longer range opportunities. I would appreciate your advice on what to look for.

My current set-up is:

Mathews Legacy 70lb. 30 inch draw

30 inch Goldtip 7595 arrows, 4 inch Duravanes, 100gr. Muzzy three blade broadheads (Total arrow weight approx 418 gr.)

Impact Trio sight with 20, 30 and 40 yard pins.

Bow: I’m currently considering the Mathew’s Drenalin’ and Bowtech Guardian or Allegiance bows.

Sight: I’ll need to upgrade to a 5 pin sight. With a 5 pin sight what distances would you recommend the pins be set for, assuming a maximum range of 60 yards? 20-30-40-50-60? 25-35-45-55-60?

Arrows: Would a lighter arrow be better for trajectory at long range? How about a slimmer arrow such as the Easton ST Axis for less wind drift? The Axis arrows are heavier than some of the other arrows, such as my Goldtips. Also would a smaller vane like a 2” Blazer be better for less wind drift than a regular 4” vane?

Broadheads: Should I shoot mechanical broadheads or would a small profile fixed blade such as the new Muzzy MX-3 be better?

Some advice and opinions to get me on the right track would really be appreciated.[/align]
Old 02-06-2007, 03:51 PM

Default RE: Long Range Shooting

With longer shots it is important to do lots of practice shooting but also distance judging is a big thing i find. I have a range finder but do not always have time to use it so i find myself guessing distances alot and pacing them off to see how close i am to get a good idea of how to judge. I find it more difficult to judge from the ground than from a tree actually. The 5 pin gig sounds ok to me, i shoot 3 pin for elk and have my 3rd set at 45. Have never taken that 45 yarder my first shot but have used it effectively for follow up shots. Just curious whats wrong with your current bow for this hunt?
Old 02-06-2007, 04:40 PM

Bow: Something forgiving (I'll sell you my '06 Old Glory dealer bow if you're interested: 70#, 30" RH) otherwise the Allegiance is an excellent choice.
Arrows: Something moderately heavy to carry KE out there. A/C SuperSlims or ST Axis are good choices.
Vanes: The 2" Blazers have impressed the Hell out of me with both expandables and big fixed blades out to 60 yds.
Broadheads: I'd go with an expandable on caribou rather than a low profile for the increased wound channel size. (JMHExperience) I like the NAP Spitfires.
Sights: 20-30-40-50-60 with good light gathering fibers (Fitz Fiber retrofit if necessary).
Get a good range finder! If you're going to shoot that far you need to be right on the money!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Banned

I would go with an expandable because of the windy conditions that can prevail where you are going. Less surface area for wind to affect than a fixed blade. I would also just stick with 3 pins. 10-20, 30, and a 50. If it is a 60, hold a little high, 40 in between. Too many pins can be confusing at the moment of the shot.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go with the Allegiance w/ speed mods
ST Axis's
Expandable such as rage
get a good range finder
i would actually get another 3 pin sight and sight it in specifically for this hunt. then sight them in at 20-40-60

this is just my $.02
Old 02-06-2007, 05:03 PM

I guess since I haven't shot with pins set over 40 yards I don't have a reference but it seems like there would be a big gap between a 40 and 60 yard pin. I'm also not so sure about holdover on a 60 yard shot with a 50 yard pin. Again, maybe the pin gaps are smaller than I imagine.

I will be using a Nikon 800 laser rangefinder and will not take any shots I estimate over 30 yards without taking a range myself or having my guide range them for me.

I'll check with my outfitter on their stance on expandables, don't want to shoot them if they don't like their clients using them even though I think the set-up I'll have will have more than enough KE to work with them.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

Just curious whats wrong with your current bow for this hunt?
It probably would work but 90% is that I just want a new toy and 10% is the extra 15 to 20 fps speed increase with a new bow would be nice. Plus it would probably be even smoother and quieter than my current bow.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:21 PM

If you are goin with expandables i second the spitfire motion. The group i elk hunt with swear by them and have been blowing them through elk for many years now with nothing but success. I use fixed blades wasps and have had great luck with them on elkotherwise i would convert also.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would set 20-30-40-50-60. A three pin would work though, and for thatI would set 20-30-40 and then you could stack effectively out to 50 and 60 if needed.
I would use a range finder for sure, and I would also make sure that my FOC was up to about 11-12%. Higher FOCs will stabilize your arrows much better at the longer distances.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt whitetails in central Ohio and southern michigan. Until i started going to school in michigan i had never shot a deer at more than 35 yards. When i got up here i saw how small the wood lots are and how big the fields are, thats when i decided to gear my setup towards some longer yardages. I shoot a Reflex Buckskin 65# at 30", i took off my three pin Fuse Buckhorn sightand Bolted on a Impact Cosmic sight and calibrated it out to 60 yards. I switched from CX Eliminators to Easton Axis ST 350's. I am still shooting ever effective Muzzy's with great results, but if i were going to switch to expandables i would shoot the G5 Tekan 2 which my younger brother uses with devastating effects on whitetails. Hope this helps out!

Quick Reply: Long Range Shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.