Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Guys using climbing sticks.......Safety >

Guys using climbing sticks.......Safety

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guys using climbing sticks.......Safety

Old 02-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guys using climbing sticks.......Safety

I made the ones that I use. They are in 5ft sections that connect together. I usually use 3 sections (15ft). I connect these together andlean them up against the tree. I can strap the first one on from the ground. I then attach my safty sling and climb up to the next section and secure it with another strap. Then I repeat the process for the third section of stix. This is how I do it and I never break a sweat doing it. I don't have any experience with the ones that don't connect to each other, so I can't comment on those.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:34 AM

i used a lone wolf hang on and climbing sticks. i sat in 47 different trees this year and 44 last. i use the lineman saftey system for safety. when i get to the tree i take the stand of my back and take the climbing sticks off. i then put the 1st stick on the tree and put the stand on my back as well as the other 2 sticks wraping the straps one over each shoulder. climb up put 2nd stick in place. climb it put the 3rd in place. climb on up take the stand off and hang it. climb in and hunt. after a few times figuring out what works and what doesn't, then just doing it i can put mine up and be hunting without rushing in about 10 min. if i have to cut some limbs 15 min.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:58 AM

Personally i think the only real way to put them up safely would be to use a ladder but thats a pain in the cutlery. I will be honest and tell my method, is it safe? no but i really don't know what else to do. I build my own sticks which are 4 sections of 5 feet, with chain links welded at the top and bottoms to run a racthet strap through. I put the first one up and only place a rachet strap around the top seeings how the bottom is good, dug into the ground and solid. I attatch the next one at the bottom while standing on the ground, then i climb up about 4 feet and ratchet the top snug. So now i am half done at 10 feet. Here is where it gets a bit ballsy. I hook 3 rachet straps on my next section so they are with me when i climb, then i climb up 10 feet and secure the bottom. The step wants to go to the side so i place a rachet strap in the middle and snug it up, then climb up and ratchet the top down, then climb down and take my strap off of the middle. I climb down and get my next section, 3 more straps and the rope for my stand. I climb up to 15 feet, secure the bottom again, place a strap around the middle again, then pull up my stand and secure it underneath the steps. Ratchet the top of the step down, remove the strap from the middle of the last section and ratchet the whole stand and last section to the tree for added security. Then start trimmin limbs if need be. It takes me bout 10 minutes to put them up.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:26 AM

Let me start by saying that part of my stand hanging "kit" consists of five 20' lengths of parachute cord, a 20' length of 1/2" climbers line with prussic knot and carabiner, my climbing sticks, and stand. I use a Seat-o-the-pants harness with the linesman's belt while setting my steps and stand, and before I leave the ground, I tie one end of each length of parachute cord to a climbing stick, and one to my stand, and then set them on the ground about five feet away from the tree. (just in case I fall, I don't want to land on any of them) I then tie the other end of each parachute cord to my climbing harness, as well as one end of the 1/2" climbing line. Now I won't have to climb back down the tree once I start up - unless I drop something, that is.

I set the first section while standing on the ground, attach my linesman belt, climb up, pull the next section up to me, untie it, set it, climb up, pull up the next section...and so on, until I have the treestand set. Having these sections on the ground while I'm climbing is safer and quieter that trying to handle them all while I'm in the tree, and by using the linesman belt, my hands are free, yet I'm secure to the tree.

Before getting into the stand, I tie the 1/2" climbing line around the tree above the stand, attach my harness lanyard to the prussic knot/carbiner on the climbing line, detach the linesman belt, and then enter the stand. That way, if the stand happens to let go for some reason or another, I'm still secure to the tree. Now anytime I ascend or descend, I attach my harness lanyard to the 1/2" line, and even if I fall while on the steps, I won't fall far.

When I climb back down after everything's the way I want it, I attach the lower end of the 1/2" line to the tree at the lowest step section so that the whole length of line is taut against the tree. That way, while ascending or descending, I can slide the prussic with little effort.

With this system, you don't have to make multiple trips up and down the tree while setting your stand (just asking for more chances of falling, IMO) and you're never ascending or descending without some sort of security attachment - even during the initial setup.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

All of this (doing it safely) assumes there are no limbs on the tree, correct?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:41 AM

GMMat,

I've used climbing sticks with trees that have limbs, but I NEVER use the limbs for climbing. You're just asking for a fall.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

i thought about the same thing..i got 2 hangons..though they are cheap ones they will work fine for a quick evening hunt after work to sneak in. my problem is what do you use as saftey while hanging it all that inital time?? linemans rope wont help because it gotta be attached up in the tree correct?? (im not sure i just always thought linemans ropes got attached to the top of the tree??) to get it up there you gotta climb that first time with nothing. soooo what im going to do this spring when i hang them 2 stands is use my summit system with the rope going around the tree attached to my harness the whole way up. i will be using screw in steps though. im going to screw them in, climb move my rope up etc. should be ok. exspecially because ill be in light clothes doing it and not pressed for time or noise. getting the stand up ill probably use a rope or back pack it up somehow..thatll be tricky. but once its up there ill be done. and if i slip ill be attached to the tree the whole time...i think itll work out. i dont like the idea of slipping on them screw in steps though...i get a visual of being STUCK with a couple of them steps every time i think about it...just gotta be careful...

maybe i should sharpen the ends of the steps to a needle point so they go right in without me taking the hit of the squared end? lol
Old 02-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunta particular set the same day I hang it quite frequently... I'm pretty darn quiet with the Lone Wolf sticks, but when I want ABSOLUTE silence and stealth, I use Cranford screw-in tree steps (e.g., for times when I'm moving in closer to a bedding area.) Using the screw-in steps is possibly a bit more laborious as far as work effort goes, but actually easier to me as I usually have to come down at least once to get the last couple sticks when using those.

I'll start by explaining how I install a set using steps, then finish with the sticks since that's what you originally asked about...

When using the screw-in steps (my favorite way), I've got a pouch sewed on the left side of my harness (Seat O' The Pants with D-loops on either side and a wide nylon strap connected to those using large carabiners). My stand is on my back with two shoulder straps. I take out a step and screw it into the tree a little over knee-high on my RIGHT side (this is VERY important, as it will eventually determine which side of the tree I'll end up on when hanging the stand!).

Also, at this point, I should note that my steps are going to be on the left side -- almost at a right angle to -- where the stand will be facing towards. This is because I always step onto my stand from the left side. It has to do with the fact that my compression buckles on my stand straps are all positioned so that I can place the stand against the tree, throw the stand strap around it, and hook it in its "catch" on the side nearest me. I then pull the strap tight and compress it -- right in front of my face. Trust me, I've tried doing it by "feel", blindly on the other side of the tree, and I never trust it as much.

I place the second step on the left side of the tree somewhere around the level of my navel. I then throw the lineman's belt around the tree, giving myself room to lean back away from the tree a several feet before the belt "catches", thereby making it easy to slide the belt up the tree as I move up -- and also, to give me room to screw in the next step.

I alternate steps from left to right until I've either got 9 or 11 -- rarely do I ever need to use 13. Still, it's always an odd number like this, as this means that when I get finished, my last step will serve to put my right leg higher than where the stand will be hung, for the reason stated above about having the compression buckle right there in front of me to work with.

I slip the stand off my back (remember, I've got the lineman's belt holding me securely to the tree, and both feet are firmly planted on steps) and position it where I want it on the tree. Remember, I decided this while I was on the ground and before I ever screwed my first step in. With my left hand holding the stand, I use my right to take the strap around the tree and to hook it back up, cinching it tight. Once the stand is tight and secure, I unhook my lineman's harness and step up the last remaining step on the right and down onto the stand platform, and rehook my harness.

I can do all that without breaking a sweat in all but the most extreme August temps, and I've done it so quietly that I had a buck come and bed down directly beneath me as I was stepping onto my stand I just hung.

When using climbing sticks, I don't start off with my stand on my back. I lay it down beside me at the base of the tree, and wait to put it on until I've got all my sticks attached to the tree. I've found that I haven't even been attaching my lineman's harness when installing them, as the sticks themselves are such a good object to hold onto.

I usually spread out my four sticks, and place the first one on at ground level. I then step back down onto the ground, grab a second one and placeit one the treeby stepping up onto the firstone and making the space between the bottom one and the top one a bit bigger than the space is between the sticks -- thereby giving me some additional climbing height. That "climbing down" is obviously a very small amount of movement in reality, as it's only the height of one stick at that point, obviously.

After the second stick is installed, I'm left with the two remaining sticks and the stand. At this point, I'll throw the stand on my back, and then pick up the other two sticks. I'm actually still in the process of trying to figure out what's the best thing for me to do with that fourth stick while I'm attaching the third. I've read of some of the guys on Lone Wolf's forum who hold it between their teeth. I usually just find a place to sorta wedge it between my back and stand, but where it can be brought out quietly. It's the part I don't like about using the sticks. It's either that, or leave the fourth one on the ground and come back down one more time for it.

After my fourth stick is installed, then I attach my lineman's belt before removing the stand from my back. Once the belt is secured around the tree, I've got both hands free to remove the stand and and affix it to the tree.

Total time it takes me to hang a stand is around 10-15 minutes once I pick a tree and when I finish pulling my bow up to me.

Don't know how much sense that made, as I didn't go back and re-read it much... and I'm trying to work around typing this up, too. Feel free to ask questions around it.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, guys....

I live in NC....and it's warm when we begin deer hunting. I thought I'd buy the LW and sticks and get away from a climber. I just realized how much easier and safer a climber is FOR ME. I'm never NOT attached.....and trees here are at a surplus for climbers. I can also get up a tree in my Viper in mere minutes.....even in the dark. If I lived in a place that had few good trees........I guess I'd have to re-think my approach. Luckily, for me....I don't have that problem.

Worked out good for you, though Greg.....lol.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about this thread I think you are pulling our legs. Are you kidding me???????
When it comes to stands and safety I don't know why any one would use a climbing stand!! That has got to be the most dangerious stand on the market.

Climbing sticks and hang on stands are so easy to use and safety is a given but always wear a safety belt. Now just like anything else it takes a little getting used to.

1. Put the ladder sections together
2. Attach the first two straps to the tree.
3. attach a line to your pants and the stand
4. climb the first couple steps attach the next strap
5. repeat step 4 as needed
6. When you get to the top of the ladder pull up and affix your stand to the tree.

I don't know how much easier it could be, again the more you do this the easier it gets and the less noise you make. I have used climbing stands and you will never be as quiet as you can be in a hang on stand. And if you want to leave your stand there you don't have to take it down and set it up each time. This combo is all I will ever use.I am 53 years old and find this to be the easiest way for me to hunt from a tree stand.

Quick Reply: Guys using climbing sticks.......Safety

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.