Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Co-workers disturbing hunting story. >

Co-workers disturbing hunting story.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Co-workers disturbing hunting story.

Old 12-04-2002, 12:45 PM

Default Co-workers disturbing hunting story.

I just talked to one of the guys here at work who went out for opening day for shotgun this past Mon.

Apparently he went on a drive with about 13 other hunters and had two does pushed to him. At a range of roughly 10 yards yards he proceded to shoot and miss then chase after them "unloading" on them from behind. Thank god he missed but it sickend me to think of him blindly shooting at these deer instead of placing a precision shot in their vitals.

I hate to think of how many people "hunt" like this.

Old 12-04-2002, 01:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-05-2002, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Co-workers disturbing hunting story.

unfortunately there are more than a few. I think that might be why guns must be plugged to hold a max of 3 shells down here.

FOOLPROOF?
Never underestimate the power of a fool!

What if the "Hokey Pokey" really is what it's all about?
Old 12-05-2002, 04:54 AM

maryland let us hunt with a shotgun or more primitive weapon. I hunt with a knight disk muzzleloader during the gun season because it feels better and is accurate compaired to the 12guage. I believe it only takes 1 shot to bring a animal down and more shots are for poor shooters. I killed 3 deer last year with it and all animals went down in their tracks, that guy needs to stay home.

Evan
Archery Accessories
301-872-0110
Old 12-05-2002, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dog I am with you, my first rifle was a single shot 22 and my first shotgun although not single shot was a bolt action. I was raised that you do not shoot unless you know it will count! How in the world you could miss a deer at 10 yards with a shotgun is beyond me!

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 12-05-2002, 06:44 AM

Here's a quote from the Midwest forum. I couldn't even reply. What can you say?

"The Ohio gun opener was today, We saw three looked like does first thing in the morning, then went back to camp and had lunch. Then we wre going to go back to the same spot and try that again, then we met some guy from across the valley and out of the blue comes two deer(125yrds away) and we tried to take em' but its just to far for a shot gun, we tracked them up half way up the mountain, no blood trail. Then we sat for a while, and he comes this 6pt buck 30 yrds away from my dad, he was asleep but the ruffle in the leaves woke him up and he got the deer, then we are sitting there gutting it and my buddy jumped 10 deer that go up the ridge and we took 3 shots apiece went up there to check for blood trail. nottin then we went down and fished gutting the buck that he got. All together we saw about 16 deer, pretty damn good season opener!!!"

Unload your gun at brown and then look for blood, Geesh. To think this is a great day!
I think these guys were on the ridge across from me... and behind me .... and across the way....
Old 12-05-2002, 06:58 AM

Good Lord! Sounds like what I go through every year here. My only saving grace is the fact that there are only 6 or 7 hunters that do that, and there are about 300 deer. They maily get does and spikes. But every second or third year, they manage to get a young 6 or 8 point buck. Last year they tagged out on does before anyone got a shot at a buck. Our gun season starts Saturday. Think I'll stay home this weekend.

KEEP IT LEGAL. KEEP IT SAFE. OR WE MAY NOT GET TO KEEP IT AT ALL.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unfortunately, these stories are all too commonplace here in PA. We have 1 million hunters here and the majority of them will hunt 1 or 2 days a year. Opening day of gun season sounds like you are storming the beaches of Normandy and if you plan on getting a shot at a deer standing still you might as well not even load your gun. The majority of the deer you will see will be on a full run and you can only hope that they will slow down enough for you to check if they meet the antler restriction (if you are ethical enough to check prior to shooting) and then you have to shoot until the deer is down because if you let it get out of your sight, chances are someone else's tag will be on it regardless of whether you killed it or not. Thank the Man upstairs that I have private land to hunt.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Stories like these are comnmon everywhere. I'm with Dog and Tazman on this one; single-shots. If you can't down it with one shot, don't shoot. It's as simple as that in my opinion.

If you pick-up on some of the subtleties, these nimwits are also shooting slugs and rifles at moving targets. Geeezzz! Just sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Shoot often - Hunt always
Old 12-05-2002, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Yup, I learned to hunt with a single shot 22, then a single shot 20 and then a single shot 12guage. WOW.... did that thing kick. It was one of those old J.C. Higgins or something like that. At 12 years old it would knock you crazy. Maybe that's what's wrong with me. As far as unloading..... I always enjoy opening day in NYs Southern Tier. I sit a mile off the road in this big cedar/hemlock swamp. I listen to the shots around the countryside. BAM... one shot..."Yeh, he got him". Then you'll hear BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM..... reload or you'll here the deer running the gauntlet.. BAM BAM BAM BAM... BAM BAM.... BAM BAM BAM.... the Winchester, REmington ammo boys must love it. 10 or 15 shots and you hope it's not in your woods or you start looking for a hole or a big tree to hide behind. It's hard enough to hit those things standing still at 75 yards with a smooth bore.... and these guys will catch them running a field and sling lead at them from 200 yards away while they're running full bore.

Quick Reply: Co-workers disturbing hunting story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.