Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 why so mutch weight >

why so mutch weight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why so mutch weight

Old 02-02-2007, 04:13 PM

Default why so mutch weight

i was wondring why people use so mutch draw weight,if you can get a pas threw with 40 pounds why do you need to use 70and 80 pound bows?i understand so you can shoot farther but bow hunting is getting close not far? just wondring
Old 02-02-2007, 04:21 PM

Default RE: why so mutch weight

Cause i can . I mainly elk hunt so i jack it up to 70. Do i really need to pull 70? Nope my buddies son took one this year pullin like 58 i think it was. I was offered a follow up shot this year at 50 yards and took it with another pass thru. I like the ability to be able to do that. I have no prob drawing or holding for a long time, all that stone pickin' has paid off.[8D]
Old 02-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Not only does it mean more speed and less arrow drop at our hunting distances, it also means more kenetic energy. It's especially helpful in the marginal shots. Things happen, animals move, we make bad shots... all of which can mean the difference between a great shot and a bad shot... or should I say bad hit. More KE will help bust through ribs, shoulder, spines etc. It translates to more quick kills. Of course if you can't handle the extra weight you shouldn't do it. Yes 40 pounds will kill a deer, although in most cases won't give you a clean pass through and certainly won't poke a hole in a shoulder or even the edge of shoulder if you're unlucky enough to hit it. He's right, we shoot it because we can and for all the reasons above.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with David. Without the 70 lbs I shoot I would be able to use one pin from 0 to 30 yrds.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Hiawatha

Cause i can . I mainly elk hunt so i jack it up to 70. Do i really need to pull 70? Nope my buddies son took one this year pullin like 58 i think it was. I was offered a follow up shot this year at 50 yards and took it with another pass thru. I like the ability to be able to do that. I have no prob drawing or holding for a long time, all that stone pickin' has paid off.[8D]
Geez check this guy out for roids..... 70, dang.
Just playing.

Do you need to pull back huge weight in order to kill your elk/deer/ect, NO, But as David said, it does help marginal shots, increases kinetic energy, lessens drop, ect. Can you kill a deer with a .22? Sure, would it be easier with a .243/.308, yes. Just like a person could take a 40# bow and kill an elk if he puts the arrowin the right place. I personally pull as much asI feel comfortable pulling back and holding in >20 degree weather
Old 02-02-2007, 05:54 PM

thanks i was just wondring ,because i shoot 50 and i was thanking about a bigger bow then i thought about that,so i asked
Old 02-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: lpv77

I agree with David. Without the 70 lbs I shoot I would be able to use one pin from 0 to 30 yrds.
Don't you mean with 70 pound pull you can use 1 pin from 0 to 30 yards?
Old 02-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I dropped my draw weight down to 60 lbs this year when I bought my Alegence. I spined my deer at 40 yrds this year and the arrowpenatrated the spine and was sticking out the other side of the deer. Yep, plenty of poundage.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

They say with the new bows you don't need to be the hulk to bowhunt.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's all about the KE.

Quick Reply: why so mutch weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.