Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Successful Hunt....Regretful Ending >

Successful Hunt....Regretful Ending

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Successful Hunt....Regretful Ending

Old 01-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Successful Hunt....Regretful Ending

Maryland's bow season ends on 31 January and with only 3 days left, I went to the woods yesterday to see what would happen. With a clear sky, bright moon that was due to be high overhead...I was not very optimistic.
Got in my tree at 4:00 p.m. and settled in with a good size holly tree behind me for cover. About 4:45 I spotted a group of 3 deer (all does)moving through the woods at about 60 yards away...going into deeper cover. I was surprised to see them moving...especially that early. I kept an eye on the three as they worked their way through the holly and laurel and toward my general direction. They finally came outand into an area clear enough for shooting. After milling around for a few minutes the lead doe seemed to get sight of me and began slowly walking directly toward my tree...looking right at me...stopping every few steps to bob her head and take a closer look. After a few moments of me standing motionless, she finally settled down and simply turned and walked straight away...never offering a shot. One of the other does then came into a good shooting lane which I had previously ranged at 30 yards. She was quartering away and offered a shot which I took. As soon as I shot, she lunged forward. I saw the arrow hit and pass through, but knew she had gotten the jump on me and it was too far back. Thishappened at 5:05 and knowing that the arrow had entered low and back, and due to the angle probably exited low and more forward...I figured gut shot. I gave her an hour before getting down and checking my arrow to find it covered in blood, white hair (belly) and tallow. Only a few drops of blood were to be found so I backed out and waited another hour and a half. Going back at about 7:30 I still could not find a blood trail to follow. My next step was to look in the place where I thought she had vanished into the thick under cover, but I could not be sure where she went in as all three does took off at the sound of the shot, crossed paths and I was not sure which deer went in where. It was only 29 degrees outside and I knew that if I waitedmy chances of recovery were better than pushing the gut shot deer at night.
Got out at first light today and after checking the 3 areas where the deer went into cover, I finally found blood. It was about 70 yards from the shot location. Tracking was difficult at first, but the kicked up leaves helped to I.D. the path she took through the under brush. After about another 90 yards of tracking...I saw my doe laying ahead of me. As I got closer I could tell that she had been partially eaten by the critters of the night. [:@][:'(][&o] I was mad, sad, upset and disappointed. I sat at the base of a tree for a few minutes and contemplated my actions of waiting over night. Hard as it is to accept what happened, I still think I made the right choice. The arrow did in fact enter low and back...exiting low and little more forward. Stomach matter was ooozzzzing out of the exit hole. The critters had eaten most of her exposed side and actually ate out her butt. I was able to salvage the back straps, one hind quarter and one shoulder.
I'm happy with my efforts and recovery, but will second guess my decision of waiting forlong time to come.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SUCCESSFUL HUNT...REGRETFUL ENDING

you made the right decision of backing out, but thats very unfortunateto have the critters eat it up for you. You can look at it this way too, they also have to eat!! Congrats on the doe and im glad you found her, was she like in a bedded down position?
Old 01-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

I too think you made the right descision, you could have never found her kept you looking at night. And the critters do have to eat like Coug said! You could do it all over again and still find your doe but not ravegged by the critters, that part of the hunt. At least you did go back and look for her the next day! Hats off to you for not giving up!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

You'll get nothing but praise, from me. I think you did great. Kudos for salvaging what you did. The animals got a meal, too.

Nothing was wasted, but I'm sorry it didn't turn out exactly like you wanted.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You def. did the right thing. Don't hang your head! Be proud of your harvest and enjoy those backstraps.Besides, had you not waited and pushed that deer, the critters would have ended up getting the whole thing because you would have never found her.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Successful Hunt....Regretful Ending

I had the same thing happen to me here in VA the second week of the season. I shot a doe about 6:15 and when I found my arrow, it was all nasty guts. I backed out thinking (but not thinking) that the 40 degree wx would hold her. Well, she was dead as a doornail 60 yds away, eaten, and no good to boot. I shot her perfectly in the heart, but due to the angle, somehow, got stomach too which lead to the schputz on the arrow. when I checked the carcass about two weeks later (after checking with the butcher to make sure she was no good) there was nothing left of her on the farm where I left her. unfortunate, but I felt I did the right thing...
Old 01-30-2007, 02:53 PM

You can't get it just right every time. I'd say what you did was reasonable and well thought out. Sometimes it just doesn't work anyway.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are right...you made all the right decisions and did the best you did with what you were given. Nobody can make the perfect shot everytime...that a given. What sets you apart is the fact that you DID make all the right choices afterwards and found your doe. Yes it stinks that it got partially eaten, but there wasn't a whole lot you could do about that.

Congrats on your doe...you should be proud.

[tip my hat to you]
Old 01-30-2007, 03:35 PM

You did the right thing, man. Sometimes those things happen, though. At least something ate it, right?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with everyone else, backing out was the right thing to do, and I wouldn't let this experience interfere with your judgement next time, Congrats on your recovery and for salvaging what was left of your doe.

Quick Reply: Successful Hunt....Regretful Ending

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.