Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

QDM and friends

Old 01-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: QDM and friends

Kobear, just keep on doing what your doing......your doing whats right form a QDM stand point..
Old 01-29-2007, 07:41 PM

My grandfather owns 2000+ acres in a county that is a 4 points on one side only county. I would call myself a novice hunter due to only 6 years of hunting under my belt and it wasn't until this year that I took my first buck (with a rifle) If you think it is tough convincing your friends QDM is a good idea try convincing a 70 year old man that maybbe he should take the occasional doe. On our property we regularly see 30-40 does every evening so all of the big bucks say to hell with coming out during legal light but he will not shoot one. I think because QDM is a recently developed entity; it will take a while to really catch hold. You can't just change years and years of beliefs. just my opinion. Any one else hunt in 4 point or better counties and see improvements. The only problem I see with this is that you can get young 2.4 year old bucks that are 7-8 pointers taken that could become real bruisers.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:11 PM

Nice
Old 01-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KoBear

i refuse to shoot anything smaller than this, while everyone else on the property and surrounding areas live and die by the "if its brown its down" philosophy.

Sounds like you're from the dark side...... I think people should hunt the way they want, as long as it's legal & ethical.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Network with people. I have spots you can shoot until your out of arrows all with in a half hour period. I also have areas you better pass up everything small because you will see big during you hunt and even then a huge one 150+ may walk by. There are those people out there and spots.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: KoBear

yea, thats EXACTLY what i am doing... trying to push QDM on you.

honestly, forget it. these boards used to be a good place to get info and wasnt full of people attacking eachother and general off-topic nonsense.

i was just looking for someone to give me some information that could help me try to pull everyone together in my area to help us all see more and bigger bucks, cause there isnt one person who hunts that wouldnt want to see bigger bucks more often.

also, i am a firm believer that the amount of shooting that happens forces the deer out of our area and they hide all day up near the developments.

so i was trying to convince them to try hunting a different way and it would benefit both us, as hunters, and the deer population.
Hey! Just where the hell was I attacking you?????

You asked a question and while in the process of my trying to answer it as best I could to HELP you I noticed some inconsistancies in your story and asked for some clarification. Yet instead of clarifying it you throw a hissy. Remember you asked for our $.02

I'm sorry if you don't like to hear that people have the right to shoot whatever they want (as long as it's legal) but that's how it is.

My responces were neither off topic nor an attack on you, I simply suggested there might be an ulterior motive for your post. You're the one who used the terms "dark side" and "trade off" and "higher goals" sounds pretty condescending to me to those who simply don't choose to hunt the way you do.

Whatever.......
Old 01-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok, the dark side comment was just a lil joke, didnt want u to take it to heart. i apologize if u did and you were offended.

trade off.... how can it not be a trade off? you shoot less deer but you shoot bigger racked deer. that is a trade off.

and higher goals, yea, holding out to shoot a deer that had more than 3 points on a side would be what many would call higher goals.

i am not attacking or trying to be condescending to you or anyone else who is perfectly happy shooting a spike. a spike is a trophy to some. i was there early in my hunting career. there was a point in time that a spike to me was a reason to call everyone in my phonebook and scream on top of my lungs. but i rather pass on that and let my lil brother or cousin have a shot at it. but the people i hunt with the majority of the time all have a bunch of bucks under their belts and continue to shoot small bucks and complain bc i am the only one shooting deer that are not 1 and a half years old (which is the average age of a buck shot in NJ). if this is not your philosophy, dont take it to heart, but a comment from you isnt necessary. i was asking for comments from people who are like minded and have instituted a QDM plan on their property, i was wondering how they did it and pulled everyone together.

and to suggest that i have an "ulterior motive" seemed kinda rude to me and i was offended and felt that i needed to become defensive.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Site Buck Guru

Just keep doing what you are doing. Hunt for yourself. Your actions speak louder than words. Once people see what you are accomplishing, they'll come to you for advice. At least the ones interested in big deer will. Those are the ones that will listen.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:56 AM

Kobear, I noticed you are from NJ. I'm also from NJ. Your in a tough state to preach QDM. "Brown it's down" is the management philosophy here.A couple questions 1) how old are you and how old are your friends that hunt the same piece? How many friends? How big is the piece? Does the piece get pounded with guns? Do you or a family member own the piece? Here's the deal, I'm 34 now butwas in the same boat as you 10 years ago. The best advice I can give you is stay the course. Lead by example. Become a better hunter. When you start taking bigger deer your buddies will take notice. I wouldn't call it the "dark side" it offends people. After all we were all there once. Some move on from that some don't. Hunting is all about personal choices and personal goals. If you can answer the questions above I can can give you more thoughts and opinions. P.S. Bridgewater has some huge bucks!
Old 01-30-2007, 07:10 AM
Dominant Buck

do u people find that the people u hunt with support and respect your decisions to shoot deer of a certain caliber or do they continue to shoot spikes and does, etc and then give you a hard time?
Everyone I hunt with shoots what makes them happy, so do I, it works.

have u ever converted any of them from the dark side, to shooting for higher goals?
No, I'm not entitled to make those decisions for them.Their goals are their own choices and should be. Dark side? Grow up.

and do u find that its worth it, the tradeoff of shooting a nicer buck vs. shooting a buck every year?
Refer to answer to first question.

Quick Reply: QDM and friends

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.