Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Have you ever left your bow in the tree? >

Have you ever left your bow in the tree?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever left your bow in the tree?

Old 01-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Have you ever left your bow in the tree?

The only timeI left my bow hanging up in the tree and my climber at the base of the tree was back in 1993. Next morning I went back and shot the biggest buck of my life- 125 2/8 net.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Left my pack before because Ii would be right back. Forgot my rattling antlers and my binocs before. Never my bow. I like to still hunt in and out.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

No, I never leave anything in the woods except once I left my virginity.
I hear that.

I thought about it one day this season since I was going to be back the next morning but I was too skeered.[&o]
Old 01-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why would someone do something like that?[8D]
Old 01-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

No! I even went so far as buying a Lone Wolf Alpha stand so that I don't even leave my stand in the woods overnight. I hunt private ground, too! (mine and relatives). Maybe I'ma little paranoid, but I don't have the spending account to replace a bow/stand mid season, not going to risk it.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:29 PM

I say this b/c I met a fellow in ill. on state land who did it often he was from mass.

[/align]
Old 01-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

I used to leave it there quite a bit when I lived in Illinois (back before light, etc.), but I learned my lesson in Oregon.

In 95' I was bowhunting Roosevelts in the Tioga unit, and had patterned a herd using a creek bottom to access a clear cut in the evening. I put a stand over the creek crossing I thought would be most productive (incidentally I missed a 35 yard shot at a cow my first 2 1/2 hours on thestand). Being from Illinois, stand hunting was the only way I knew to hunt game effectively up until that time.

The herd stayed in the area and I kept at it, thinking I would get another opportunity. I had camped about a mile down the road, and decided to start sitting the stand in the morning as well.

I got up that morning had coffee and a bit to eat, and started my walk to the stand. Low and behold here are two elk standing on the edge of the road in the moonlight feeding. I laid in the ditch along the road and waited for them to move on. A few more elk started to feed out, and eventually a bull squealed. I was really kicking myself now! Shooting light was rapidly approaching, and my bow was 200 yds the other side of them in a stinkin' tree - crap!

Suddenly, a light winked at me from the other side of the elk...huh? Now this was getting wierd. Some of the elk got my wind, and they headed into the timber in the direction of my stand. I got up, and at the same time, anther guy got up from the ditch on the other side.

We met in the road. The conversation went something like this:
Me: How's it going?
Him: Are you hunting?

I thought about telling him that I was a National Geographic photographer here to capture nocturnal footage of banana slugs, but I was decked out in camo and there was nothing for it.

Me: Yeah.
Him: Where's your bow?

Dang, I was hoping he wouldn't notice.

Me: It's in my stand over the creek bed over there.
Him: Oh, that's yours huh.

I had to think of a way out quick, so I said...

Me: I'm from Illinois.
Him: Oooh I see.

Anyway,that guy and I ended up being good huntin' buds from then on. We've packed eachothers elk out a number of times, and had a blast.

Geez, the people you meet in the woods.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:43 AM
Spike

Yes, not in the tree but at the base of it on private land in Iowa and in PA I hide in under some downed trees or high grass on public land, sometimes I even have trouble finding it in the dark the next morning. If I'm having trouble finding it and I know where it is, I think I'm pretty safe, then again I'm only working on a few brain cells after living through the 70's.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:24 AM

I do it all the time when I hunt private land in Ill. I leave when it's dark and I get back in the tree in the morning when it's dark.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

No.It is to important to me to risk any thing happenning to it.

Quick Reply: Have you ever left your bow in the tree?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.