Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shed hunting???

Old 01-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Spike

Default shed hunting???

last year was the first year i really got into shed hunting. and i didnt get out to the end of febuary or march. i would like to start now and was just woundering if anyone has had sucess finding sheds with snow on the ground?
Old 01-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shed hunting???

Dude.. hunting for sheds in the snow can be rough. Unless the shed fell after the snow.. forget about it. But... looking for beds in the snow is easy. Walk through the woods and cover as much ground as possible. Locate any bed you can and take a mental note of it. Then go back in late February or early March and really look hard in these bedding areas, travel corridors between bedding and feeding, and the food source(s) themselves.

Look for some of the bigger beds, a good sized deer will leave a big bed. You'll begin to realize that most or all the beds are on the southern slope of a hill and in the sunlight at some point in the day.

It would also help if we knew where you are from..??
Old 01-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Spike

i am in southwestern ontario.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well then heck dude... get out there now...!!!!

Shed hunting is still difficult in snow though.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

My hubby is moping [&o]around the house because there is no hunting season right now. I want to get him a Shed Hunting license to get him out of the oops, I mean cheer him up! Does anyone have one I can buy??
Old 01-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmm...don't think there is a shed hunting license...in CA you just cannot re-sale the sheds you find (there are details to this but i won't get into it) i don't think he needs a license to find sheds....check with local wardens, they would know..
Old 01-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make him one on your computer.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know in other states they are dropping but here in southern Indiana they are still holding on. its early for around here. seen a real nice tall buck when i pulled the driveway after work today, got the spotlight on him and he had both sides. seen several more in the last couple weeks. Im going crazy waiting for them to drop to.
Dan
Old 01-23-2007, 08:41 PM

here is half of my collection all black tails

Old 01-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

My friends have been out and have found multiple sheds. He even found a recent wolf kill. Darn things killed a ten point.... Thats one deer i would have liked to shoot next year.

Quick Reply: shed hunting???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.