Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The more I save the farther behind I get >

The more I save the farther behind I get

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The more I save the farther behind I get

Old 01-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The more I save the farther behind I get

I have been thinking about buying some land of my own to hunt on for a while now. The problem is the more money I save up the more they keep getting for good hunting ground. I don't want to go too deep in debt .When I first started hunting in IL(1996)you could get ground for around $1500-$1800 an acre in Calhoun,Co. Which is just south of Pike, Co., excellent hunting and big deer. Now you can't find any land for under $4000 per acre. It is mostly because of the deer hunting potential in the area. If only I knew then what I know now I would have baught all I could get my hands on!!!

I guess I will just keep hunting my moms cousins farm. The problem is he keeps letting more and more people hunt there, because he wants the population reduced. He gets quite a bit of crop damage each year. I used to be the only one that hunted there. Now there are 4 other guys hunting it also.Twoare his renters and the others are neighbors. Not much I can say about it because I don't own it.

What does good hunting ground go for around your area?
Old 01-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The more I save the farther behind I get

In Texas, I've seen prices anywhere from $1,300 to $12,000 per acre, depending on how close or far away the land is from urban centers. The land is cheaper way off out in the boonies.

I need to add that the land right around Dallas is going for close to $40,000 per acre, but that's priced for developers, not hunters or for farming/ranching.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:47 PM
dws

I'm halfway trying to purchase 80 acres to the north of my place. It's not good for building and I know she will never get anywhere near what she is asking. It is a swampy woods with no drainage but it's a great place for deer and 4 wheeling. I'm not going to budge at my offer of $1200 per acre because it's been tied up in an estate for several years and nobody else has offered anywhere near that. I honestly think she will sell it to me before too much longer, but if not, no big deal. I buy forclosures for rentals on the side. Don't get discouraged because you can't find something cheap. Just keep looking and asking and you can find it. There's always somebody in a hard spot that has to sell quickly for one reason or another. My wife and I have bought enough places at auction that several banks now call us when they have something they think we will like. Just throw the offers out there like fishing, sometimes you'll catch one and sometimes you don't.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

jmbuckhunter, with the popularity of the area you hunt im afraid its probably just going to increase in price. its amazing that Big bucks can drive the price of land. good luck and i hope you find a gazilion acres for your own.
Dan
ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

I have been thinking about buying some land of my own to hunt on for a while now. The problem is the more money I save up the more they keep getting for good hunting ground. I don't want to go too deep in debt .When I first started hunting in IL(1996)you could get ground for around $1500-$1800 an acre in Calhoun,Co. Which is just south of Pike, Co., excellent hunting and big deer. Now you can't find any land for under $4000 per acre. It is mostly because of the deer hunting potential in the area. If only I knew then what I know now I would have baught all I could get my hands on!!!

I guess I will just keep hunting my moms cousins farm. The problem is he keeps letting more and more people hunt there, because he wants the population reduced. He gets quite a bit of crop damage each year. I used to be the only one that hunted there. Now there are 4 other guys hunting it also.Twoare his renters and the others are neighbors. Not much I can say about it because I don't own it.

What does good hunting ground go for around your area?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Buy the land and go into debt. Make the payments. Lease out to another person if necessary; a "partner" if you will, to help make the payments. But, buy the land. It is a huge taxwrite off to own a"ranch"(your truck, 4 wheeler, tractor, etc).Do whatever it takes, but buy the land. Your tags are cheaper (in Kansas anyway). The state will help with wildlife improvement. It is the only way to secure your future. If you are trying to buy 80, find someone else who is also, or three, and buy a section.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: KS227

Buy the land and go into debt. Make the payments. Lease out to another person if necessary; a "partner" if you will, to help make the payments. But, buy the land. It is a huge taxwrite off to own a"ranch"(your truck, 4 wheeler, tractor, etc).Do whatever it takes, but buy the land. Your tags are cheaper (in Kansas anyway). The state will help with wildlife improvement. It is the only way to secure your future. If you are trying to buy 80, find someone else who is also, or three, and buy a section.

I am so glad you are not my financial advisor.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Spike

Buying land is an investment that should never depriciate. I say buy the land as long as you don't go over board and go bankrupt or lose your marriage.

Also, you really don't need thousands of acres to have good deer hunting. Scout the area and buy the best 15-20 acre tract you can find.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I may be selling oneof the properties I hunt soon because I'm thinking of buying another tract. It's a 62.5 acre tract of PRIME Fulton county IL that I'll sell for $3,000 per acre? Also, this is the tract where most of my better trail cam pics of both deer and turkey have come from over the past few seasons. It just may be the type of quality small property you're looking for then. I would love to see it go to someone who would really do it right.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

There is a place here in Oregon 11,000 achers going for 44,000,000.00 Just cause it has some elk on it!!
Old 01-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty close to $1000 an acre where I am in Oklahoma. I bought 40 acres for $500 an acre in 1999 and I should have bought more.

Quick Reply: The more I save the farther behind I get

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.