HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Any input on my property? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/176144-any-input-my-property.html)

John Deer 01-19-2007 12:13 PM

Any input on my property?

I saw some great input on the other posts about others hunting property. Just thought I'd see if you guys saw anything about one of my properties that I hadn't thought of yet. Any response is appreciated.

I've outlined it in red. The current stand locations are yellow. There are no food plots planted. The primary food source on this piece of property is acorns. The terrain is obviously high ridges with deep draws. The creek that runs through the property is spring fed and always has water though it's not deep enough for a boat. The prevailing wind direction is from the North but it also blow from the Southeast quite a bit as well. Take a look and tell me what you think. Let me know if I need to list more info.

130woodman 01-19-2007 12:31 PM

RE: Any input on my property?

How can the primary food source be acorns? They have to eat other food. Find that out and set up for that. It does look like you have a couple of area's that look like funnels.

John Deer 01-19-2007 12:36 PM

When I say primary, I mean that's what they mostly eat, not that's all they eat. When the acorns hitthe ground that's what they're eating the most of.Other than that they eat rough browse.

reflex03 01-19-2007 12:48 PM

I'd think bout investing in a food plot...just a thought

buckeye 01-19-2007 12:59 PM

Here is what I see.....

Orange- Looks like you could take advantage of the ridge top that comes from the southwest, where the ravine points out at it's most northern point and the thin strip on the east of the ravine between it and the open field.

Brown- Is a spot you already had marked it is an obvious funnel connecting the two wood lots.

Red- Appears to be a perfect intersection of two choke points. I can't see a deer slipping by you there.

Blue- The blue spot looks like a great terrain feature to hunt as well. You have the field coming down to a point from the north with a draw / hollow stretching from the NE all the way down to the SE. Looks like anything wanting to work the rising thermals would have to take this route through there.

Pink- Again a spot you already had marked. You have that hedge row running out to your west then to northwest as well as the pinch point cause by what appears to be a pond/swamp/gully to the southeast of the setup.

John Deer 01-19-2007 02:27 PM

Buckeye, thanks for the input. The spot you marked in blue is a good area. I've had success just a little south of where you marked it there. The road actually runs right thru there and actually helps as a funnel just north of there. The deer filter down the western side of that field to the southern tip of the field and cross the road right there. Also, I really like the spot you pointed out with the orange dot. That ravine drops off pretty steeply. Right at the northern most point of it there is a oak flat that runs to the edge of the field. What is your opinion on tyingthe fence up to try to give the deer a focal point that's easy to cross therefor forcing them by my setup, (with neighbors ok of course)?Ever tried it, does it work with mature bucks?The neighbor doesn't have any cattle so it shouldn't be any issue.My stand that is just south of that is actually on a flat in at the bottom of the ravine where it branches and runs to the northeast.

huntingson 01-19-2007 02:30 PM

The stand location furthest to the north that buckeye placed is the first place I thought of. The top of that draw should be a pretty good funnel. Also, just S-SE of that where the field from the east points in should be a good choke as well.Actually, thereseem to be a ton of choke points in that property. Again, S-SE of the 2nd place I said where that other draw goes up near the field. If there is aflat area between that and the field, I would hunt that. So on and so on. Thatlooks like a nice place to hunt.

rybohunter 01-19-2007 05:34 PM

I put a bunch of dots up in RED. Those are places I'd check, just based on the map. The ones in blue are ones I liked of yours that looked good just from the map. Without knowing the oaks and lay or the land better I can't comment any further. Looks like a sweet place though.

buckeye 01-19-2007 06:43 PM

I really like the spot you pointed out with the orange dot. That ravine drops off pretty steeply. Right at the northern most point of it there is a oak flat that runs to the edge of the field. What is your opinion on tyingthe fence up to try to give the deer a focal point that's easy to cross therefor forcing them by my setup, (with neighbors ok of course)?Ever tried it, does it work with mature bucks?The neighbor doesn't have any cattle so it shouldn't be any issue.My stand that is just south of that is actually on a flat in at the bottom of the ravine where it branches and runs to the northeast.
I'll tell you that was the first place I noticed, just looks like the terrain would produce a lot of cruising bucks here.

I have never mended a fence for a deer crossing myself but I'm sure it couldn't hurt if you did it this time of year for next season.

Good luck, that place looks like a great place withso many terrain features to hunt!

Matt/TN 01-19-2007 07:05 PM

how many acres is this land?