Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you do for practicing? >

What do you do for practicing?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you do for practicing?

Old 01-15-2007, 10:51 PM

Default What do you do for practicing?

So I'm thinking of getting a bows I cant hunt with it for a few years because my dad doesnt bow hunt we do rifle but I really want to dobow hunting as wellwhen I'm older, so I may as well get a bow and practice up for a few years. I know a guy that said once I get strong enough to pull it back he will show me the basics, so what do you guys use for targets? I was thinking maybe maybe as well as a taget, gophers? I know a farmer that has a huge feild of them and I take my 22 out usually, but with a bow would the arrows warp (shot from around 20 yrds.)from hitting ground, because I know they arent cheap? Would you recomend it or do you got some better ideas?
Thanks
Old 01-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you do for practicing?

I've found that for practice you can't beat a Morrells bag target. For about 40bucks they'll last forever (just replace the bag every couple years). The yellowjacket field point target and the Quick Stop are both good ones.... Of course, gophers too.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would use the block4by4,our the yellow jacket becuase you will probly break a lot of arrows your way.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

you sound like you are very young....in that case i would start out using hay...it is cheap and you can set up a large targer just in case you miss so that you don't damage an arrow or loose any
Old 01-16-2007, 01:20 PM

Always good to hear another aspiring bow hunter!
Old 01-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take JNTURK's advice and start off with a bale of hay or straw , don't shoot at any gophers until you know you can hit where you aim.
When you do get your bow make sure you can pull it back and hold it at full draw , you can always reset your poundage later on as you get stronger.
Carbon arrows are stronger and better than aluminum arrows although the carbons cost more but they don't bend or break.
When shooting at your target , start off at ten , then twenty , then thrity yards and practice , practice , practice.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:36 PM

This is my first year with a bow and I bought a river bottom buck. I practiced shooting from a ladder stand in my yard. When I took my first shot at a deer, it felt like I was sitting in my yard and I put a good shot on it.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup. Use hay to start if you're shooting low poundage, and when you get good enough to consistantly hit a gopher size target, have at it! Bag targets are good too when you graduate from hay. You should probably get some small game heads like judo points for shooting gophers, if you miss, the arrow won't go too far if you hit the ground.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Block targets get more publicity (marketing dollars) but I think you'll find hands-down that most experienced archers prefer Morrell targets.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Greg. I could have bought 2 morrell's for the price of one block.

(heck.....they shoulddo a commercial like that.......)

Quick Reply: What do you do for practicing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.