Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Come to my neck of the woods >

Come to my neck of the woods

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Come to my neck of the woods

Old 01-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default Come to my neck of the woods

I've watched countless hunting videos and seen hunters take HUGE bucks on camera. The other night I was watching one of the Primos videos (which is one of the few that I've liked) and got to thinking. If these guys came to my hunting camp would they be as successful? In my camp any legal deer is considered a trophy although we do get to take some descent bucks (110 -125) range every year. But I see these guys taking bucks that score in the 150's. Does this make them great hunters? If not why do we (the average Joe) look up to them so much? I mean, if you or me hunted some of the places that they hunt we would be just as successful. Would that then make us great hunters?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Come to my neck of the woods

When I watch the videos, it's not that I think they are such great hunters, but I do recognize and appreciate the time and moneyspentto capture on film, what so many hunters would like to experience.

If you watch carefully, you may see the great hunters in those films. It is the guides that do all of the year around scouting, put the hunter in the right place at the right time to get the big kill on film, then track and locate the wounded animal when the shot didn't go exactly as planned. They are truely the great hunters, but are usually "behind the scenes" and seldom seen in the videos.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:08 AM

I hear ya man. If team primos or team real tree came to my whiplashed neck of the woods they'd be lucky if they even got to shoot a 100 inch deer with their cameras. First they'd have to make it passed the ATV's, snowmobiles, barking dogs, hikers, mountain bikers, horseback riders, bird hunters, pea shooters, and crazy people running rampant through the woods banging 2x4's together. (if you've seen my other post, you'd understand)

Of course when industry giants film hunting videos, they have to make sure they find prime/virgin hunting grounds to accent/sell their products so it's expectedyou'll see 150 inchbucks trotting around carelessly. I have a video that I wont identify where there's a guy with bow and another 2 guys with a whole screen set (video equipment) in a tree. All of a sudden a huge buck appears from behind them and steps out to 15 yards in front of them. They whisper back and forth, pointing at the buck then have to swing the main camera man's rotating set-up all the way around to film the buck. The hunter then draws hastily and "mehs" the already stopped buck so he'd look up. The arrow flies and then congratulations and high-fives are exchanged. LOL LOL LOL

Try doing that in real world hunting scenarios on high pressure public lands.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:17 AM

I think that it is fair to say that most of the hunters on the popular hunting shows are pretty skilled hunters. With that said, they have the luxury of getting to hunt in very "profitable" places, with guides and with top of the line "free" equipment. I venture to guess that a good number of hunters on this board would be just as productive as the "big guys" if in similar situations.
I for one would love to have some of the longer shots (200 yards or so) and aloof deer that they get to shoot at. My typical shot with a firearm is 5-50 yards with a deer that is wary if not aware of hunting pressure and usually at least walking. Closer distance, moving and in thick cover. I would love to casually set-up a couple hundred yards away and take the more perfect shot.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

One thing you need to consider is that most of these shows are paying good money to go on a great hunt to get there videos made. Most of these guys started out hunting the same way we all do but were lucky enough to get the chance to hook up with the right people to hunt some awesome spots. Growing up with a father that is pretty well known in the bowhunting world that has hunted with most of these guys or been around them you kinda get to hear the behind the scenes on some of these guys. Most of the guys doing these shows are great people. They hunt fair chase andget great video footage. Theyspend many hours in the woods to make a great show.Some don't represent us very well as hunters. I'm not going to name any names. I will say that Primos, Realtree & Fred Eichler represent us well I think.

MC
Old 01-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

Most of the guys, if not all of them, are very accomplished hunters. I bet if you stuck them in any woods, most of them would be able to find the bigger deer in the area and if given enough time, they probably kill it. Getting it on video may be another thing in high pressure public woods, but they would find the deer.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:37 PM

I think they are great hunters on camera cause yah they can make some awesome shots they have awesome equipment but they also have and this is the big one, awesome guides and that it was really makes us the average joe different from them. They have the money to get these awesome animals cause they can afford the guides. I doubt that the majority of them do annual scouting before the season or set up trail cams and study the animals movements they just pay others guys to do it for them so in my eyes they arent great hunters, but us the average joes, the guys that spend countless hours just watching a trail to see if the buck you seen the other day will take the same path again, we are the great hunters. To me the guys on the cameras are great products of media.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah they get to hunt privelaged spots, but damn you have to be good to get a kill shot and lead up footage on a big deer. IMO a deer's a deer. And it seems big bucks are always weary unless they're chasing tail. They get to hunt on awesome land, that's key, but hunting on camera is totally different from hunting normally. The only reason I say that is because I'm going into this particular field. I've filmed and it's tough to do, especially for the hunter and cameraman to be on the same page! I think they deserve some credit, because most of those guys devote 4-5 months of hunting almost every day, traveling to locations, getting set-up. It's a long process that's not easy to do, so for me I give them credit. Most of these guys (if you watch carefully) will hunt all day for 4 or 5 days to kill the big one. So my respect goes out to them.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

I was on a web site one time while they were interviewing Jackie Bushman. When the interview was over we got to ask questions. Mine was how can I get a job with Buckmasters. His answer was to submit an application. I asked him for one and it was sent to me. I never applied. To old and fat.
I believe they are acomplished hunters and by being that they have the perks we as ordinary hunters don't get to have. I like watching the hunts because it "pumps me up".[8D]
Old 01-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i think it is all about luck.

Quick Reply: Come to my neck of the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.