Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it not about how it's done, but rather how you LOOK doing it???? >

Is it not about how it's done, but rather how you LOOK doing it????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it not about how it's done, but rather how you LOOK doing it????

Old 01-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Is it not about how it's done, but rather how you LOOK doing it????

It seems to me this forum anymore is post after post of laundry lists of everyones gear. We all know camo and the equipment we use are important in the game, but even more important is HOW we do what we do. What isn't covered much is the thought process and experiencesdirectly leading to the decision of the setups we hunt. I knowmost of ushang our stands in a specific setupfor a reason, or am I wrong with this and everyone hangs their stand just because it "looks good?" I would bet not.....

I for one would like to see a lot more of what you do (or don't do) behind the scenes rather than what you are wearing at it

Mobowhuntr and I were discussing this earlier...... We can't be the only ones who feel this way, can we?

Old 01-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it not about how it's done, but rather how you LOOK doing it????

Absolutely, you make a great point.

I usually hang a stand only if there is great sign and/or I have pictures of deer going or coming through the area in the daytime. I don't really hunt the scrapes that hard anymore, they never really produced much for me in the past. I do pay attention to well worn trails and I am a firm believer in the habitual characteristics of deer. They like to do the same thing over and over. They take the shortest path to get to where they are going and they like to be around other deer. If there is a trail that has better cover than another that may be a shorter path, I usually hunt the thicker cover and see more deer. On a pine plantation the deer bed in the short pines alot! My favorite stands are usually inbetween the short pines and the hardwoods or the tall pines, transition areas. All these aspects go into my decision to hang a stand.

Is that what y'all are talking about?

Trae
Old 01-11-2007, 07:09 PM

HEY NOW! How did I get drug into this???

I can really only explain 1 set up.....I have an inside corner I hunt whose crop is rotated from beans and corn. We know deer relate to inside corners anyway, but to sweeten this one are 3 different trails leading throuh it and persimmon trees. This spot is KILLER in the early season. I've tagged a doe there the first day I've hunted it every year for 3 years now. To make it even better is a thicket that serves as a bedding area just a couple hundred yards away. If the wind is right, I can almost guarantee a doe the first day I hunt it.

I have been known to follow "gut feeling" before as well. What I mean is this. I know what types of terrain and areas I've commonly seen deer in before, and if I am on a piece of ground I've never hunted before, and see one of these places, I hunt it with no further investigation. At least 75% of the time I see deer. Never bucks mind you, but deer....[&o]

Aside from that, the biggest thing I've learned is I don't know....SQUAT.....
Old 01-11-2007, 07:13 PM

I agree buckeye. I think alot of these questions about equipment are coming from the newer or younger members. I am not bashing them for this but I think they see all they seasoned veterans on here talking and answering so in turn they valueyouropinion on equipment, camo and related items. On the other hand equipment may be the only thing they can talk about.
What isn't covered much is the thought process and experiencesdirectly leading to the decision of the setups we hunt.
Just for clarification are you wanting to discuss setups regarding equipment or the actual hunt. Sorry if I have misunderstood you.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just for clarification are you wanting to discuss setups regarding equipment or the actual hunt. sorry if I have misunderstood you.
I am looking for our stratigies not relating to our equpiment but rather our heads and foot work.......
Old 01-11-2007, 07:17 PM

I think the reason a lot of us don't post this type of information is because the "throught process" you mentioned is subconscious. The decisions leading up to my hanging a stand in a certain area isn't me saying "Ok, this looks good, I'll do this, this, this, and this."

Its more along the lines of "Ok, this looks good," and before I know it... I'm in the stand.

Maybe its just me that works this way, but I don't so much choose good spots as good spots choose me. I feel like I'm in the right place and usually these feelings turn out to be correct. They're usually abundant with sign, yes, but its not always a conscious "Hey, this looks great, I'll go ahead and do this, this, and this to get it ready."

I don't know... [&:]
Old 01-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think the reason a lot of us don't post this type of information is because the "throught process" you mentioned is subconscious. The decisions leading up to my hanging a stand in a certain area isn't me saying "Ok, this looks good, I'll do this, this, this, and this."

Its more along the lines of "Ok, this looks good," and before I know it... I'm in the stand.

Maybe its just me that works this way, but I don't so much choose good spots as good spots choose me. I feel like I'm in the right place and usually these feelings turn out to be correct. They're usually abundant with sign, yes, but its not always a conscious "Hey, this looks great, I'll go ahead and do this, this, and this to get it ready."

I don't know... [&:]
I can certainly tell you my process of determining a stand goes nothing like that.....
Old 01-11-2007, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

I can certainly tell you my process of determining a stand goes nothing like that.....
Then please, by all means,elaborate.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Will do, give me a few...
Old 01-11-2007, 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

My hat blew off daddy.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.