Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 delayed gratification >

delayed gratification

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

delayed gratification

Old 01-10-2007, 07:21 PM

Default RE: delayed gratification

It's ironic, isn't it?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:22 PM

DANG! I got beat to it.

I need to calm down, my sixth sense is kicking in again.

Yes, I see stupid people.

They are everywhere, watch out.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: archer58

It's ironic, isn't it?
I wasn't going to post, but I felt left out.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think this may be the fastest thread to 10 pages in history. I last checked here at like 4:30...you guys works fast!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't know about anyone else. I shoot the little ones so I can pizz off a horn hunter.[8D]
Old 01-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

here's my thinking:
I hunt frequently, I have seen most likely an average amount of deer. Some were big some little...all shapes and sizes. Out of the respect for the deer I let the smaller bucks go. Hopefully they will pass on their seed and be become bigger as the years go on.I was raised musky fishing, the relevancy is its always fun to catch a musky, but when I landed a thirty pounder, my thought process changed. that was the goal..to reach my goal was outstanding. It was the best feeling I've ever had. Those bucks are potential. Does it matter if a few are taken here or there(probably not). But every time I see a small buck I know the struggle he's gone through to get there. The odds he's had to face..against man..against nature. I don't want that bucks life to stop short for someone's pleasure for just this season. Delayed gratification is what I named this thread. Setting your goals is what this sport is about...I have no right to tell you what your goals should be. I did get a pretty good rise out of you guys. IL bow season ends tomorrow! I'm going out from 4:30am-probably 6pm. If I see a small one..Less than 100"...I'll let him go. Hopefully he'll make it a couple more years. I realize a button this year will be a trophy when my kids start hunting. My point in this whole thread(besides starting sh*t) Is to explain if you truely understand and respect the deer you'll let them reach their potential. As far as 100" goes I'm sure that will change as i become a better hunter. I'm not a very good one, Second I say 100" because that deer has probably passed on his gene, he is definatly a good buck. no one is asking you to only take the pope/youngs just give the young ones a couple years!
I'm out-
Sorry to those I've offended I'm sure theres alot.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Some were big some little...all shapes and sizes. Out of the respect for the deer I let the smaller bucks go. Hopefully they will pass on their seed and be become bigger as the years go on.
But the other side of that would be..... if you shoot only the big mature heavy horned ones, you just killed the best seeds to pass on.[8D]
Old 01-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

But the other side of that would be..... if you shoot only the big mature heavy horned ones, you just killed the best seeds to pass on.[8D]
Genes don't change w/ age. Take the mature buck whos probably sexed up alot of deer. Take him before his rack starts to go downhill....I know you know that
Old 01-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cannot believe I've just read that whole thing!

Germ wins!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Dominant Buck

NO they don't change with age.... but you can see what you got. You don't know if that little 8 point will ever be anything more than just an 8 point with spindley horns. The big thick 10 pointer is a known commodity..

Quick Reply: delayed gratification

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.