Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 does not hurt... >

does not hurt...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

does not hurt...

Old 01-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default does not hurt...

to question The Authorities".
since i was 16, my pro shop told me i was 30 inch draw. it's been 17 years, 7 bows later (all 30 inchers) and i shot well, got lots of deer, never questioned it.

well, this year i bought a switchback xt from a different dealer because mine went out of business...when i told the lady i needed a 30 inch draw matthews she laughed at me... had me try a 27 inch, and it fit perfectly!

i guess i'm a dumbass for taking the other guys word for it for so many years, but like i said i was succesfull getting deer annually, so i didnt worry, you know?

anyway, i am amazed at the difference it has made in my shooting. before, with my wrong DL i would worry about losing arrows at a 30 yard 3d target. NOW, i practice all the way up to 60 (not hunting shots, just practice)

i cant believe how much better i shoot now. 4 for 4 on deer this season.

just wanted to say, get a second opinion when you can, it could save you alot of frustration!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: does not hurt...

Sounds like my story! I killed deer for 20 years at the wrong draw length!

I was told that my draw length was 29" . . . and it felt fine. Acutally, It was Len in MD that recognized how overdrawn I was. I switched to a 27" draw more than 3 years ago and have been shooting far better than I ever have since. I also practice at 60 and ocassionally 70 yards when 40 was considered a long practice shot to me in the past.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes a smaller draw lenght helps a lot and would help anyones shot if it was wrong in the past.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:58 AM

Part of the reason I am an advocate for finding a TOP NOTCH Pro-Shop that will fit you properly and take the time to invest in YOUR shooting.

I shot a 28.5" DL for about ten years. Never questioned a thing, hell, I was killing plenty of deer.
All that changed when I got "obsessed" with archery, tuning, and shooting well. I bought a Bowtech Tribute @ 28" and shot it for two months, all the while thinking it was right for me. I developed a problem with the bow creeping out of the valley, and then it was a battle between my shoulders and the roll over point on the cams.
I then met with Rick James, and low and behold, I was pulling about an inch too much DL. The Tribute ended up going the way of Ebay, and I ended up getting a bow that has adjustments down to the 1/8th of an inch.
The moral of my story is this.
Take the time to find a quality shop, not just any proshop willing to sell you a bow. All too often, shops care only about selling you the gear, and not making it work at 100%. I learned the hard way, and it took me 10 years, and well over 6 different shops before I found one with a pro I can work with and who will take the time to take care of me. Now, I am finally shooting close to my potential, and am getting better every week I work with a coach.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

i don't think it was anything bad about the proshop, except maybe being too "old school", i think that when a fellas been in business for a thousand years, and is pretty much the only show in town, it is too easy to become complacent.

he might have not been the best DL measurer, but he sure as heck was honest, fair priced and willing to share alot of other info....

but, yeah, i'm amazed at what a difference it made, it sure has effected my hunting style!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't feel bad Moose 1915, Next 3D shoot you go to, look around and see how many shooters anchor points (or lack of one) is drifting around out by their ear somewhere.To long a draw causes lots of problems, for one thing the release hand has no where to go except away from the head, and the body does an uncontrollable jerk throwing the shoulders out of alignment of the target.I won't even get into poor bone support and muscle fatigue. And I will quit now befor this turns into a short novel.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:43 PM

Find youronw draw, take a measure tape in one and, and pull wioth other hand. Divide by 2.5 and that is a starting point.

Find a bow that is in-between your point above and adjust to your liking.. Anyone who trusts a 'proshop' is a true liberal.

Figure it out for yourself.