Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Elk hunters... I have a question >

Elk hunters... I have a question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elk hunters... I have a question

Old 01-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Elk hunters... I have a question

What kind of KE are you guys shooting. I'm trying to decide if I need to go to a 125gr. slick trick from a 100. My current setup will be shooting a 425 gr. arrow around 285fps. I feel like that should be plenty but just wanted to see what you experienced guys thought. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:37 PM

Default RE: Elk hunters... I have a question

I think that is more than plenty. I think with elk it is even more of a game of placement than anything else. It takes a good shot to take those huge animals down quickly.

My combo of: 65#, 125grG5, on a maxima hunter put my elk down with in 60 yards of where i shot it this year.

EDIT: happy now david?
Old 01-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm not an elk hunter, but what you got is more than enough for anything in elk country. You're packing 77 footpounds. Adding 25 grains will raise your weight a little, but you'll loose some speed... probably an even trade. Your present arrow is heavy enough to do the job. And IDAHO... I know you didn't mean a 125 grain arrow.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I knew that was more than enough, truth be told, I just didn't want to spend the cash for different broadheads. I don't think it'll matter when it's in the sweet spot. Thanks guys.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dwd,

That's plenty of KE! I think more than anything else while archery elk hunting -BE IN GREAT PHYSICAL CONDITION!Your equipment won't help muchunless you're able to get in front of your bull! All too often people forget what it takes to kill an elk. Be ready to lay some boot leather down! Good luck!
Old 01-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Will, I'm very aware of the conditioning. I remember when we lived up there my dad would load up his pack and put water in mine and we'd go hike through the rockies. I'll definitely be ready for that, as soon as I get the "ok" from the doc, it's game on!!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

dwd, where are you heading? I'll be going to Colorado this year for my first stab at taking an elk... and like Will said, the biggest thing I'm thinking about is getting back in shape. Looks like there's going to be a lot of tennis in my future this summer!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure you guys call before you come. I will help out as much as possible from this end...

Any ideas as to where you'll be hunting?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The work begins after the kill. You have plenty of KE. Best of luck!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are coming from a lower altitude, conditioning is great, but remember, it will still take a couple of days before your lungs get adjusted.

Quick Reply: Elk hunters... I have a question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.