Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A deeper look into scouting whitetails..... >

A deeper look into scouting whitetails.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A deeper look into scouting whitetails.....

Old 01-15-2007, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A deeper look into scouting whitetails.....

I forgot!!

No "TreeBarf", I mean TreeBark was using in the killing of any of my deer
Old 01-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Site Buck Guru

Was any spooning involved in the killing of any of your deer??!![:-]
Old 01-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

No, LOL

Nice setup, you have!!!

Old 01-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Keeping it going...

What definesa "bedding area" for you? (Anyone...) The obvious answer is it's where deer bed... but I've seen deer bed down almost anywhere.... Is it generally thicker? The side of a ridge allowing them to see out in front for danger and monitor the wind coming over their backs? In other words, where do you find that deer usually bed in your areas?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Bartender

In the area I hunt it seems the property that nobody has permission to hunt. So I say its where no pressure mostly around me. With that being said it does have some thick area's also.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Inseason scouting, not in know buck bedding areas for me. The last thing I want to do during season is play into a smart old bucks hand. He's set up where he is for a reason, survival. Invading his bedding area is for Jan-May. I hunt close to his bedding area on exit and entrance routes. All of this information comes from off season scouting. Jan-August

Bedding areas, Doe family groups position themselves lower in elevation than mature bucks in mountain habitat. The mature bucks and doe groups simply dont run together. They dont need to or do they ever act like they want too. They aren't forced or congregated into small woodlots patches of cover. There is literally hundreds of thousands of acres of timber country out here. Do to extreme weather,changes in elevations and cyclic food sources, does opt for the easier life while bucks opt for survival. Thermals play perfectly into a bucks hand that beds in elevated country. Veteran bucks tough it out and live much higher on the mountain sides in reclusive hard to get to hide outs. With lions, wolves, griz, blacks, and yotes preying on deer they are all skittish in this country. Human intrusion into a an old bucks bedding area is rare. Therefore they gointo full out nasty guard modewhen intruded on. Country like this has its positives and negatives. Low deer densities due to predation, two month long rifle seasons through the rutand harsh winters, yet the vastness of itallows for some bucks to grow very old.

I have found in my scoutings, observations and kills over the past decade that if I find an old buck that is living off the beaten path, he isfairly predictable in his movememts ie feed to bed and back. Though minimal during daylight hours, he is notterribly difficult topattern,with careful,low impact scouting.Of course if he findsout hesbeing scouted/hunted near his bed, the gig is up. Period. Themost intriguingpart about bowhunting this countryfor me is getting to hunt a specific deer on his terms. Which usuallymeans near his core bedding area. Sept, Oct and Dec. Only in November and not until the second to third week will he pack up for a couple weeks and take offon hisrutting forays.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: shed33

I have found in my scoutings, observations and kills over the past decade that if I find an old buck that is living off the beaten path, he isfairly predictable in his movememts ie feed to bed and back. Though minimal during daylight hours, he is notterribly difficult topattern,with careful,low impact scouting.Of course if he findsout hesbeing scouted/hunted near his bed, the gig is up. Period. Themost intriguingpart about bowhunting this countryfor me is getting to hunt a specific deer on his terms. Which usuallymeans near his core bedding area. Sept, Oct and Dec. Only in November and not until the second to third week will he pack up for a couple weeks and take offon hisrutting forays.
I find this kind of hunting very exciting. You described it perfectly. I have shot 5 or 6 specific bucks that I was after.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

The deer I'm hunting have hundreds of acres of which to occupy. They typically browse and feed until they start venturing oustside their "sanctuary".....which is at different times for different deer. The herd I hunt has VERY LITTLE pressure....and I suppose they feel safe even in the areas I hunt (wait a minute......that didn't sound right....lol). I KNOW they know when I've been in there.....(or that I've been in there). I just think they put up with a "reasonable" amount of human scent.....even the bucks. I'm also learning that there are likely bucks that grow old and die in said sanctuary....that no one ever sees. I'm betting it's like this, everywhere. Some deer are nocturnal.....period. If they're not seen during the rut....they're not seen. The older they get....the less they mate....the less they're ever out during daylight hours. yada, yada, yada.

I was in a tree the last day of the season and saw 5 deer heading across a pasture I hunt against (Before daylight)......and all I could tell is that they were all BIG deer (bodied). They stopped at the edge.....and 4 disappeared into the woods. The fifth came right over towards me.....crossed the fence....and walked by me at 20 yds. I could tell who he was....but I had no tag for him. He was the biggest deer I'd seen all year. I'd give a lot of $$ to have seen the other 4.

This thread is very interesting.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

GregH,

Awesome bucks, pictures and area. I was wondering, since you're so forthcoming with your information, would you mind explaining WHY you put your stands where you did?

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Site Buck Guru

!

Quick Reply: A deeper look into scouting whitetails.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.