Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 1980 something gear.. >

1980 something gear..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1980 something gear..

Old 01-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 1980 something gear..

Everything was always functional. Its just sometimes the guys in the pics were a lot younger and couldn't afford the best stuff...Or that was the best stuff available at the time. Also many times things didn't come in camo just black, you had to do your own. You give any of us that same gear now and we'd still kill deer.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with everything that's been posted so far....and it's sent me back down memory lane....as I'm likely older than most of you. I remember squirrel hunting with a plastic stock SEARS .22 rifle when I'd have 7 or 8 cartridges I'd dug up from somewhere. I thought I had everything.

I remember the handwarmer that ran off of lighter fluid.....and how it stunk to high heaven (and was in a felt, maroon pouch).

I remember paper shotgun shells....(that'll age some of ya!)

I remember having NO camo. I remember when people really DID wear flannel and jeans deer hunting. I think the first piece of camo anything I ever owned was a jon-boat.

In 1980 I turned 16. I never remember anyone having any camo......unless it was a cap/hat. That's the truth.

Jeff
Old 01-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

In 1980 I turned 16.
Jeff
I graduated high school in 1980. In 1983, I bought a PSE Vulcan compound bow. I used it through last year, when I took the buck in my avatar with it. People were giving me grief about my old equipment, but hey, it got the job done! I didn't get rid of the bow, just bought a used Matthews that I take hunting now. I still have my Treebark camo I bought back then.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

The number 1 thing that helped my success over the years is better treestands........not beingafraid to get off the ground has helped probably more than anything.

I was never wild about those home-made stands, old Bakers or even the "State of the Art" Loggy Bayous of the day. Heck I tried hunting out of a homemade climber that consisted of a piece of plywood for a platform and a simple bracket and band set up like a Loggy but it stood straight out the back of the stand. Holy Death Trap.[](That was the stand's official name)

Summit Treestand company is very much responsible for the deaths of many animals.

I do have a differing view from Arthur on compound bow technology......we'll leave it at that. LOL (But man do I love traditional gear too!, Thanks Arthur!)
Old 01-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first compound was a Bear whitetail. I remember my first bowkill with it. I dumped half a bottle of Doe-in-heat scent on my old tennis shoes and walked to a permenat tree stand, someone had built for rifle season. It was just boards nailed to a tree, built by a friends uncle. as I watched the sun set, a button buck came walking by with his nose to the ground. I took it!

That bow had rainbow trajectory. I had to have a 10 yd. pin and a big gap to the 20 yd. pin.

Through the years I'd up grade my bow every couple years. That 1st deer with a bow just hooked me on archery.

I have owned several bows over the years but hadn't bought a new bow in about 9 years. For a while I hung on to my Proline Mountain bow I bought in '96. I sold a PSE Baby-G, I bought in '98 and kept the Proline.

Just a couple months ago, I broke down and bought a Diamond Victory.

I can not believe the leaps and bounds in technology made in 10 years.

I shoot the Victory soooooo much better than I ever could shoot the Proline. I bagged a bunch of deer with that old Proline Mountain Bow, but the improvments in the Diamond make me a much better shot. I shoot groups at 40 yds. that rival groups at 20, with my old bow.

Woods skills certainlyimprove over the years, but I say that the newer equipment certainlygives an edge.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

guys brought up some good points. good info...good post. interesting that you guys dont think the newer stuff is much better than todays gear. yet you guys will still rib me for wearing surplus BDUs. ok now that im getting older(and more cash in my name) i like you all am upgrading my gear.

looking at myself as an example..even though im only 20..i wore dads hand me downs. ive hunted in BDUs(actually like BDUs and woodland camo..you guys think open patterns are something new) ive used minimal gear ect..but i still kill deer. the main reason for me upgrading clothing is comfort. i just bought a breathable waterproof parka that turns into a jacket and vest also. i been wanting something waterproof and breathable since i started hunting. the price of that stuff is pretty outrageous. but finally got it and love it. i no longer have to sit on the cold wet ground because i have a summit climbing stand which is comfy as could be. do i need all that stuff? do i need scent eliminating clothes wash and sprays ect...nope...10 deer fell to my name thus far without it. but it helps me..keeps me comfortable/warm/dry..which keeps me still and out there longer. if the wind changes when im in my stand i dont go into panic mode. i know my clothes are as scent free as can be and my "dead down wind" will come through.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

mauser06, i think it has to do with maturity and affordability. today we can afford better things, the older you get, the more expensive the toys become. i remember a day when i was excited about a bow with arrows that had suction cups on it. today, i want more so i shoot a tribute, i wear predator and enigma, i drive a more expensive vehicle etc. perhaps not the best slang but it's because we can.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: shed33

Lets do a throwback hunt next year... OLD gear 20+ years or older only

camo, bows, calls you name it.. take pics ... everyone get a mullet grown out by then too...
I have my 1985ish Bear Black Bear II, my original Army fatigue pants and Realtree shirt I wore then as well. My call I broke many moons ago and there's no way in hell I'm growing my nonmullet again. [8D]

Captain m06, I think Raxxmaster is correct, in my vintage years, the "mullet" photo with my first buck you'll note what I wore, the bow was a Christmas gift from my now exwife and I shot Muzzy's.

Most of that I could encorporate in todays market. Muzzy's are still fantastic, ASAT will always work except the new company and I could still take a deer with that bow if I had it. I'm sure someone is hunting with it still today. I forget who I sold it too. Today I seek out the best or what I feel is the best when researching equipment. I could buy cheaper stuff but today I buy for long term....each purchase is for a long term commitment.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: jnrbronc

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

In 1980 I turned 16.
Jeff
I graduated high school in 1980. In 1983, I bought a PSE Vulcan compound bow. I used it through last year, when I took the buck in my avatar with it. People were giving me grief about my old equipment, but hey, it got the job done! I didn't get rid of the bow, just bought a used Matthews that I take hunting now. I still have my Treebark camo I bought back then.
Me too on both statements and from IA to boot.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:10 PM

I graduated in 81 so I am a young guy to you

Quick Reply: 1980 something gear..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.