Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you take this shot??? >

Would you take this shot???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you take this shot???

Old 01-04-2007, 10:37 AM

Default RE: Would you take this shot???

If I told you I've taken 17 hard quartering away shots, and have recovered 17 deer with that shot, what would you say then ? Still a bad shot ?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fron the angle the arrow is in it looks like the deer was quartering away hard, I took a great buck this year that came in on the chase and was quartering hard in my shooting lane, as I shot he turned even harder, the arrow struck right in front of the hind quarter and passed through the entire deer hitting liver lungs and heart and exiting the front shoulder, he didn't go 100 yards, so I guess if the penetration angle is right the shot can be very effective, it really depends on the situation and the hunter's abilities to hit the mark
Old 01-04-2007, 11:03 AM

I agree with Grem. You shouldnt be calling anyone an idiot or stupid. Espeacialy a FIRST YEAR HUNTER
I know that it is a bad hit but maybe that isnt where he was aiming and maybe he was very excited (cant imagin anyone being excited when there about ready to shoot a deer) but maybe this guy is differnt and he was excited and the shot went wrong.
So if you guys still want NEW hunters getting on this site and young hunters to sign up i would lay off the name calling.

I know that i was unsure to post my buck on here because i know how some of you are with killing smaller bucks.
But as i put in my post i said i dont care what any of you say about my deer. It was my first bow buck and im very proud of it.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:46 AM

My buddy had a doe jump his string when he shot and he ended up hitting her in about that spot but the arrow went in far enough that it got a lung and she only went about 50 yards.

No, I wouldn't take that shot.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

no i would not....way to chancey even for me...and if you do connect there went the upper half of the hind 1/4...not worth injuring a deer....
Old 01-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with you GMMAT i would not take that shot if it were presented. I have my share of not hitting where i aimed for whatever reason but i would not try and put it in at that hard of an angle, way to risky. broad side and slightly quartering away you at least have a little room for error.
Dan
Old 01-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Its impossible to comment without knowing the whole story.
My thoughts exactly. Even though I personally would never take a shot like that, I'd need to know whether it was an accident or on purpose before passing judgement. Some people might feel comfortable with that shot, but I just couldn't see the benefits in passing up the rather large vital area that most of us aim for.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Host of Hosts

Never!
Old 01-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would only take that shot if I had a 3 inch mechanical broadhead and a 300 grain carbon arrow at 310 fps. [8D]

Seriously though - why not just wait for a broadside or slightly quartering shot? I don't by it when people say "That's the only shot I had". BS. That's the only shot you had because you weren't willing to wait 20 more seconds for the deer to turn broadside. They usually will turn if you wait long enough. If they don't, don't shoot. Why is it so complicated?

The sad part is this guy thinks that's a good shot to take at a deer now. I don't see anything wrong with educating him as long as it's done respectfully in a positive tone.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well said, gzg...

Quick Reply: Would you take this shot???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.