HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Outfitters helping my area. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/172712-outfitters-helping-my-area.html)

jmbuckhunter 12-30-2006 09:14 PM

Outfitters helping my area.

Before you call me crazy, let me explain. InMY case I believe having outfitters lease ground near where I hunt in IL is benefitting my hunting.

1. They are leasing ground that about 10 people gun hunted on and shot anything with antlers. They would shoot 5-8 one and a half year old bucks a year. Now it is bow hunting only and has a 130 inch minimum. This has to help the age class in my neighborhood.

2. The outfitters encourage clients to shoot does. They also have a special doe only hunt. This helps to keep the herdbalanced and make calling more effective. Making the bucks search for does.

3. They limit the number of bucks taken off their property to ensure enough bucks for next year.

4. They plant food plots to help the deer recover from the rut and have high protien food throughout the year.

All of this will help the deer and my hunting on neighboring ground. Plus I have the security of Knowing my land will not be leased. My moms cousin owns and farms it. He has told me he will never lease it, because he wants to remain in control of what goes on on his property. Sounds good to me.

Outfitters may not be good for everyone, but I feel they are helping me out.

mobow 12-30-2006 09:31 PM

RE: Outfitters helping my area.

Sounds like they are..but wait till they own all the ground you currently hunt...Won't help you much then. [&o]

jmbuckhunter 12-30-2006 09:44 PM

My moms cousinWILL NOTsell his farm and so far says he will NEVER lease it either. He wants to have the say so on his land. And he makes pretty good money farming it, not hurting for cash.

He loves to quail hunt and if he leases it I don't think the outfitters would allow that.

mobow 12-30-2006 10:12 PM

Sounds like a good deal then. That's my only problem w/ outfitters really.....They can afford leases and purchases, leaving less and less ground for the "average joe" to hunt on.....[&o]

Sliverflicker 12-30-2006 10:40 PM

Sounds like a good deal to me!!

Cougar Mag 12-30-2006 11:07 PM

It does sound like a good deal for now. But like anything, things can change. The farther away from me they stay the better.

Dr Andy 12-31-2006 06:56 AM

Their food plots attract deer to their propery and many will take up permanent residence there, if the property is large enough they will put all the food plots in the center of the property. You may see less deer on yor property unless you plant the food plots also. The antler restrictions however can only help the overall picture for you!

TeeJay 12-31-2006 07:01 AM

Cash talks and B.S. walks, dont ever forget that!

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

My moms cousinWILL NOTsell his farm and so far says he will NEVER lease it either. He wants to have the say so on his land. And he makes pretty good money farming it, not hurting for cash.

He loves to quail hunt and if he leases it I don't think the outfitters would allow that.

IL-Cornfed 12-31-2006 02:37 PM

I can relate to what your saying. Outfitters are quickly buying and leasing huge portions of my area but by throwing out the local "brown & down" wankers and implimenting a 130" minimum, the quality is sure to get better and better. I don't mind as long as over hunting doesn't occur.