Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hang ons...

Old 12-31-2006, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hang ons...

For $50 you should be able to find a gorilla Baby Kong. It's good and solid. As far as the creaking I'e found that adding ratchet straps and tightening them down good solves the problem.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:20 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

true, but I completely understand the desire to slip in quietly with no weight on your back and simply climb up in a pre-hung stand.

I would love to have about 15 more stands so I could cover every possible wind direction and have all of them already hung so I could just come and go without worrying about packing anything in or out or setting up and taking down...
There is a lot of truth to this statement. The only problem with this is having to go out and place and take down all of these stands before and after season. The only stands that we leave out year around that I feel safe that the elements and squirrels won't affect are ladder stands. They can be had for $70(we have some rivers edge action ladder stands) The only problem is I like to be up 20-25' and the ladder stands are typically 15'. Ladders are sure safe and easy to get up though and if mounted to a big tree, they blend right in and by leaving out year around the deer don't pay attention to them anyway. I sure have shot a lot of deer at 15' high in my days though.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:32 AM
Banned

Another way to have tons of prehung sites for every wind direction in the woods would be to have climbing sticks cabled and padlocked to trees through out the woods and take your one, high quality, lightweight, safe, and quiet hangon in and out with you each time. Most of the noise ,with me anyway is taking my sticks off of my stand and mounting to a tree. I could easily go out to these prehung climbing sticks, climb, and silently hang my lonewolf. It only weighs 10 1/2 lbs and makes zero noise installing.I have bought some pretty decent 17' climbing stick ladders for $30-40 on sale. I think this may be an idea I implement next year for especially when I am in a hurry and have very little time to hunt after work.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:48 AM

I bought a hang on from menards for only $30. Its pretty comfortable and sturdy. I was at dicks sporting goods yesterday and they had a couple for under $40 bucks also. If you have a Gander Mountain by you all of there stands are 50% off right now. Hope that helps.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:59 PM

my wal mart is sold out of stands.. anywhere else youd reccommend?.. rural king?..... anywhere?
Old 12-31-2006, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

Is it possible to find a hang-on stand for less than $50 that doesn't creak or make noise? Are they sturdy and safe? If so, I'll have to re-think why I'm buying stands that cost three times that amount.

Sure there are.

You may need to put EXTRA straps on them.I bought a really cheap Gorilla for my daughter and got 2 motorcycle style straps and just put 1 at the top and bottom and it secures nicely.She is only 85#'s so that does make a difference but you might look at the bigger ones and they should do fine.I am not a big man either,137#'s so I could see a larger person having some difficulty finding stands that are cheap and don't creak.

I do like My Lone Wolf Alpha Hang on.I would rather have it with the climbing sticks instead of a climber.I can hang it in any tree(that diameter allows),it is quieter to hang than a climber,lighter than most and just about as quick to hang,if not quicker.It is also steardier than most and packs flat,even with the steps.The only draw back is it requires a climbing belt to hang the steps.You should use that anyway.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:25 PM

thanks for the advice.. but it would be nice if anyone could give a link to a cheap hang on stand somewhere on the net cuz i am having trouble finding one.
thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: GregH

Is it possible to find a hang-on stand for less than $50 that doesn't creak or make noise? Are they sturdy and safe? If so, I'll have to re-think why I'm buying stands that cost three times that amount.

Sure there are.

You may need to put EXTRA straps on them.I bought a really cheap Gorilla for my daughter and got 2 motorcycle style straps and just put 1 at the top and bottom and it secures nicely.She is only 85#'s so that does make a difference but you might look at the bigger ones and they should do fine.I am not a big man either,137#'s so I could see a larger person having some difficulty finding stands that are cheap and don't creak.

I do like My Lone Wolf Alpha Hang on.I would rather have it with the climbing sticks instead of a climber.I can hang it in any tree(that diameter allows),it is quieter to hang than a climber,lighter than most and just about as quick to hang,if not quicker.It is also steardier than most and packs flat,even with the steps.The only draw back is it requires a climbing belt to hang the steps.You should use that anyway.

I have 4 of these now. Best I've ever used. I got you by about 90 lbs. These things are solid.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tfox, I wished I could come spend some time with you... I've got the Alpha hang-on and four steps, and while I like them ok, I can't put them up nearly as quiet as I can my climber -- and it takes a lot longer, too. I'm thinking of buying their hand climber because I really like the concept of that traction belt; I don't see how you can get quieter and quicker than that.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

I'm thinking of buying their hand climber because I really like the concept of that traction belt; I don't see how you can get quieter and quicker than that.
Greg, the LW climbers are the quietest going and I think its virtually impossible to slip in one.

I am sort of divided between which is best...hangon with sticks or a climber. I can have my LW climber at hunting height pretty fast. With the sticks and hanging a stand its not bad if I use the ezy hang hook/strap. But there is no way I am leaving the LW stand or sticks in the woods unless I know I will be in the same stand the next morning. Too expensive to have it walk off.

Quick Reply: hang ons...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.