Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When do you shoot or don't shoot! >

When do you shoot or don't shoot!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When do you shoot or don't shoot!

Old 12-30-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default When do you shoot or don't shoot!

We are selective at our camp about what we shoot,2 1/2 yoa or olderwe have a 3 pt rule in the state.That brings the question, what about does? The older guys say, never shoot a doe. I for one will shoot a doe before rut but notduring or after, whats your opinion.?
Old 12-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When do you shoot or don't shoot!

We have too many deer in my area. I shoot every doe that gives me the opportunity. The only time I will let a doe walk is during the rut. You never know when a buck might be following her. She could end up being a good decoy.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

By all means.. shoot the doe.

I hear old timers talk about not shooting does all the time. They believe does give birth. The more does the more birth.. in turn the more bucks that are born.

What they don't realize is that a larger ratio of does to bucks can really put stress (according to biologists) on the health of a herd. Unless you have a good ratio of 3 does to 1 buck (1:1 is considered best) you should always practice "sound management" of your deer herd.

Does taste great too...
Old 12-30-2006, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try to get a doe in the first few days of the season and get itout of the way.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

You have the right attitude bow huntert, I think you get it. If I were to take a doe and you should depending on your deer density, I usually take a mature doe prior to the rut. It saves the bucks from breeder her and assures me there is no buck trailing her.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

You see thats the problem with animals. They DONT enjoy breeding. If they were like humans, there would be no stress....lol
BTW I would also shoot the doe first.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Spike

I always try to take a doe or two a season, but the woods that I hunt needs that kind of mgmt. The philosophy of shooting only bucks is a "livestock" method of controlling the deer herd and that is not good for an established herd.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:58 AM

I agree with jmbuckhunter. The only time I wouldnt shoota doe is during the rut. But before and after the rut i will.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot the doe! The only exception in my mind is during prerut/chase phase if I'm solely looking for a buck. In that situation, the doe becomes the bait and she can hang around as long as she likes.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:06 PM

I've hunted all season looking for a shooter buck and have passed several small ones so right now I'm just looking for some meat to put in the freezer. I'd take a doe early or late in the season but like the others have said they could be a good decoy during the rut. You never know when that big boy could be trailing her.

Quick Reply: When do you shoot or don't shoot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.