Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Safety Harness.... >

Safety Harness....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Safety Harness....

Old 12-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Safety Harness....

Mine shows wear even though it's only a couple years old. Got a couple tears in the mesh on the back where it got caught on bark. THe mesh also has faded badly on the back, the fabric one doesn't fade like that. My next one will be an all fabric.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I hear ya. I think I'll try the mesh......mainly because of the heat factor.....and because it'll be under something else.

I appreciate the review, though.

Jeff
Old 12-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

GMATT, I use a prusic rope with mine. It was shipped with a strap. I think they're all shipped with a Prusic now, but if not, spend the 20 bucks and get one. They also make a linemans belt attachment. THe only problem I have with it is that it's hard to get hooked up with it. Len solved that problem(really before HSS came out with it. He told him what he did and they came out with it). Anyway, the linemans belt attaches with two big snap rings that you have to reach up under the outer layer and snap on. Tough to get hooked up under the mesh without getting hooked in the mesh. Len tied on a couple loops of good quality braided rope where they say to hook the linemans belt attachment. THey are about 4 inch loops he made that make it so much easier. The linemans belt is also a prusic rope. I think it was around $25 with all the snap rings etc. Where their method is so hard is once you're climbing a tree and have to unhook to go over a limb or something. The nice thing about it if you're afraid of heights, you can still hook up the HSS system with the tether and also hook up the linemans belt so you're hooked up at all times.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, David. I use a caribiner??? Can I attach that to the end of the strap that comes with the vest? I then use my tether wrapped around the tree.....and slide it up as I go......down as I descend.

Jeff
Old 12-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

When I said snap rings I really meant caribiner. It comes with two. It's just that you have to reach up between two layers of fabric, the outer layer and the lining, to get at the point that will support you best. You snap them in place without being able to see. Len just added the loops to hang down which makes it easier to attach your caribiner. I guess you could also cut a slit in the outer fabric to allow access.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am the same.. kshunter..

I only use a safety belt made by Ameristep. It does have a right and left chest strap as well as the belt. I don't even think they make them anymore so anytime I find one I buy it. I have 3 now.

I just don't like wearing the full body harness but I realize they're a little safer. I just find them bulky or heavy, and uncomfortable to wear. But I never hunt without my belt..never!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I am the same.. kshunter..

I only use a safety belt made by Ameristep. It does have a right and left chest strap as well as the belt. I don't even think they make them anymore so anytime I find one I buy it. I have 3 now.

I just don't like wearing the full body harness but I realize they're a little safer. I just find them bulky or heavy, and uncomfortable to wear. But I never hunt without my belt..never!
Duke if you ever getyour hands on one of the loggy bayou's that I mentioned ,you'll really like it,it isn't bulky at all,also like some of the others,it has a seat belt style front clasp,and nice lineman D rings for hanging stands and such.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

drstalker..

I actually own the new Loggy Bayou safety harness you are talking about. I bought it in early September before this season. Your correct.. it's not bulky or heavy at all which is why I liked it so much. I just never got around to trying it.. but I will next season for sure.