Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting both (trad & compound) >

Shooting both (trad & compound)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting both (trad & compound)

Old 12-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Shooting both (trad & compound)

Ok, I think I've finally convinced my self to try some recurve hunting next fall. One thing I worry about is will shooting both styles have ill effects on each other? Is it easy to jump back and forth? I want both to be second nature when I shoot. I'll make the time to practice if that is all it takes.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:34 PM

Default RE: Shooting both (trad & compound)

Shooting traditional will make you a better compound shooter but I doubt that shooting a compound will do anything for your traditional shooting. You shouldn't see any ill effects from switching back and forth though.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:35 PM

If you've never shot a recurve before I would invest in a good instructional book to help you out. I've heard great things about Become the Arrow by Byron Ferguson. I've been trying to half heartedely teach myself to shoot a recurve and I'm not really making much progress. It takes lots of practice and good techniques when you are first starting out. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

Good thread. I have been wondering the same thing myself. I have two recurves
that were given to me but need strings. May have to string them up and see if they
affect my compound shooting. It would be awesome to take a deer traditional.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a self bow occasionally and I've gotta say that I think it's really helped me with my compound. I don't really know why, but it has. I think it has alot to do with shooting instincively. It's really increased my accuracy.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:48 PM

I shoot both but watch out, You WILL find yourself carrying the traditional bow into the woods more often than your compound. That is what happened to me. Shooting trad is extremly addicting. And as a side effect it has made me concentrate more on my form and has helped my compound shooting alot. But make sure if you get a trad bow, first get one with a low poundage like 30 or 35lbs (No more than 40lbs) to practice with to build up your muscles and work on your form. Because if you over bow yourself from the start you have a higher tendency to form bad habits very quickly that are hard to break. Another thing is it takes twice the amount of practice to get good and stay efficient with a trad bow as it does a compound, well that is atleast what I have found to be true with me. Here I am with My Chek-Mate Hunter II this past fall.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started out shooting a recurve as a kid. I just haven't shot it more than a handfull of times since. I still have that bow and another newer low poundage recurve I can play with as well. If I got a new string would the old recurve be any good? Its a 50# shakespeare. No visible cracking on the limbs or anything. If I do go for a new one I'd like to keep it under $300.

Also about the form thing, my anchors are going to be completely different, and do you guys cant your recurves?
Old 12-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it will b fine if the limbs are not bent. but I just shot my recurve and my compound and it did not mess with my shot at all. But PA Hardwoods is right. Now for some weird reason i dont even want to mess with my compound and only want to use my recurve.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I started out shooting a recurve as a kid. I just haven't shot it more than a handfull of times since. I still have that bow and another newer low poundage recurve I can play with as well. If I got a new string would the old recurve be any good? Its a 50# shakespeare. No visible cracking on the limbs or anything. If I do go for a new one I'd like to keep it under $300.

Also about the form thing, my anchors are going to be completely different, and do you guys cant your recurves?
That old shakespeare should be fine. But useONLY a Dacron String. Yes my anchors are different but really I have no problem switching back and forth. You still want that near capital "T" when at full draw. And making sure you reach and hold your anchors is essentially the same between both types of bows. You will just anchor in different spots. Also with a trad bow you can expect your draw to be up to 2" shorter than your compound. My compound is 29" but my Recurve draw is 27 1/2". I actually only cant my bow very little. it is all personal preference. I shoot much better with my bow upright like in the pic I posted.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

just posted this a couple days ago.

check out some more replies

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1885253&mpage=1&key=&#188525 3

Quick Reply: Shooting both (trad & compound)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.