Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I fell .......

Old 12-24-2006, 06:37 AM

Default I fell .......

Guys....

Well I have always preached safety, safety harneses, you name it....but I had a mishap...

I was hanging a stand in a WMA here in Florida to take my 14 year old bowhunting... I had tied on my climbing sticks in a realy brush covered tree - vines, limbs, small branches everywhere - but didnt clear any of it to keep a natural look because it was the ONLY tree around a stnd would hang in- especially 2 stands side by side- but its a great tree for the cover....
Well I had lost (my 'lineman' style belt I use while tying on a stand so I was balanced on the tree step - and for a split instant leaned against what i THOUGHT was the big fork near me (8" diameter branch) but my butt must have hit a lesser dead brach- I adjusted my weight leaned and SNAP- the world went in slow-motion- I went straight back, let go of the hang on, tried to grab anything and went out and down on my back- my son said it looked horrible my landing) Well my left ankle hit first I think, and it hurt bad- thought it was broke, my body sore but I was moving and almost immediately told Colton we were sayin a prayer because God just caught dad... Well Im ok considering, sore yes, but OK... My feet were only about 12 feet up I guess, and considering Im 42 I feel very blessed and lucky. I had always said "Im too careful to fall" and always preach safety harnesses to every friend I have hunting and here I go falling....
It made me realize - I dont care HOW CAREFUL you THINK you are, or how many stands you have hung - it CAN happen to you believe me...

God bless everyone-

Merry Christmas !!!!!!

Please be safe friends !!

PS - Ill tell ya about the rattlesnake at the tree's base later....
Old 12-24-2006, 06:54 AM

Default RE: I fell .......

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the reminder. It could happen to any of us. Hope you recover quickly
Old 12-24-2006, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Be careful man, you got a christmas gift.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

Glad you were not seriously hurt. So what's the scoop on the rattlesnake??
Old 12-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear you're okay...a rattlesnake? That could have ended bad.[:-]
Old 12-24-2006, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

yep...scary thing is when ur falling and everthing is in slowmom and u don't know whats goin on...i fell 30ft 1 year ago in my treestand....the strap broke and wooosh! there i went...hope ya revcover ok too!! MERRY X-MAS
Old 12-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry for your mishap. That just enforces how important it is to use some form of safety device while hanging and while hunting in a stand. I personally don't care for heights so I either sit in permanant stands or I sit on a camo chair on the ground with good cover around me. Not really a blind kind of thing just good cover. I shot a nice 10pt at 15yds and a huge mainframe 8 (a pair of split brow tines makes him 10) at 10yds.Both were credited togood camo, goodbreak up cover, and proper windusage. However, I do enjoy being up in the air 16-20ft cuz the deer can't see me sleep or snore!!! Glad to hear you're okay. Happy Holidays everybody!!!
Old 12-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm pretty proud of myself, this is the first year that I wore my Harness everytime on stand, even climbing in my Climber!

Glad to hear your OK!
Old 12-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hard lesson learned, but glad your ok.
Dan
Old 12-24-2006, 10:22 AM

Glad you are ok.

Quick Reply: I fell .......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.