Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..?? >

Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Old 12-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

I just have to ask, who's chronographer are you using? Are you sure of how accurate it is? I'm sure I don't have to ask or suggest this, but short of any of the above..... are these things flying true? Are they fish tailing or anything? I know, stupid question.... but something is stealing energy. Is it a measured or calculated speed???? Just fishing. OR, does this just restore my faith in fixed heads and convinces me I never need to try mechanicals.[8D]
Old 12-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

huntingson, just for the record, I never said everyone who doesn't exactly hunt like me is stupid or terrible at it. Yeah, you might be able to teach me a thing or two. I might even adopt it into my hunting style if I found it worthwhile. But there's precious little I haven't tried over the years so, like I said, it's not likely you know much of anything I don't. Might be a few things I've learned and forgotten though. [&:]

You want to argue wound/loss statistics? Then you need to take it up with the state wildlife agencies, not me. They don't get their data off these forums, ya know.

I'll do you a favor and overlook the ignorant and malicious insult about my shooting abilities.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: BUCKEYEBUCKHNTR: This thread is pointing out that enough is enough. Out of today's high performance bows you don't need a tree trunk to kill a whitetail and have your arrow buried in the dirt on the other side.
Thanks, Scott. That was the main point of this thread, but it has turned into a very interesting discussion.

ORIGINAL: Arthur P: And if the heavier arrow is quieter, Mr Antlers might not hear it in time to dodge at all.
True, in days gone by heavier arrow meant quieter bow....and it of course still does, HOWEVER, todays bows are so gosh darn quiet anyway, that gain has become minimal and IMHO, is a moot point.

GregH, that was one of the most interesting posts I've ever read....I just wish I knew what the heck you are talking about....[&:] That was way over my head....LOL...

We all know that inches matter in this game. Slower, heavierarrows drop faster thanlighter arrows....We can't argue that either. I don't know about ya'll, but I don't always have time to range a deer before I shoot it. It's very possible, in fact, LIKELY, that I'll misjudge by a couple of yards. Now, 6 or 9 feet doesn't sound like much, but a heavy arrow flying 250 will drop a couple inches as compared to a lighter arrow flying 310.......Those couple inches could make all the difference in the world.

Again, we could "What if" this thing till we are all blue in the face. There are SO many variables in this sport that it is IMPOSSIBLE to be prepared, or have the absolute BEST set up, for each and every possibility. I still say, though, that lighter, faster is the way to go. I'm producing plenty of KE and momentum either way. My bow is quiet enough that I have nothing to gain there either.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I just have to ask, who's chronographer are you using? Are you sure of how accurate it is? I'm sure I don't have to ask or suggest this, but short of any of the above..... are these things flying true? Are they fish tailing or anything? I know, stupid question.... but something is stealing energy. Is it a measured or calculated speed???? Just fishing. OR, does this just restore my faith in fixed heads and convinces me I never need to try mechanicals.[8D]
All valid questions...

Two chronos, One I own, new and the shop, both read the same and true.
Arrows are darts, I have Muzzy's, Snypers and field points flying together. Arrows impact targers straight.

Measured speeds....

I just don't get it.

Could be my deer are macho...[8D]
Old 12-22-2006, 03:34 PM

Rob, Snypers have "fingers" sticking out that opens the blades up, yes? Is it possible, that even when the blades are deployed, those "fingers" are dragging on the deer?? That would certainly act like a brake, no doubt.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think so mo, these darn Snypers will open on paper, I don't think there's drag at all and to be honest, the way they work, I'd bet they take less KE than jackknife style heads. They are impressive to say the least.

I'm just wondering if it's purely coincidental. There are so many variables that hinder penetration. Take my setup I killed my bull elk with. I was shooting roughtly a 400+ grn Beman Trophy Hunter 70-90 pultruded carbon arrow with Muzzys at nearly 80ftlbs. I blew through the bull like butter at 33 yards, the arrow layed 20 yards past the bull. I came home from that trip, I used the same arrow/broadhead, changed blades and didn't pass through a buck nor a doe I shot...same exact setup....I think my deer are just tough sum beaches.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:52 PM

Understood....maybe you didn't understand what I wrote, or perhaps I didn't understand you.....I'm not questioning whether the open or not...No doubt in my mind they do.....I'm thinking those fingers are remaining exposed and acting as brakes???? Hell, I don't know.....you may be right, coincidence....
Old 12-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nope, I understood, you didn't , that's why I gave the paper as an example, they wouldn't open on paper if they were stopping the arrow...comprendo mi amigo? Hell I don't know either, that's why I brought up for discussion. Has to be coincidence.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Nope, I understood, you didn't , that's why I gave the paper as an example, they wouldn't open on paper if they were stopping the arrow...comprendo mi amigo? Hell I don't know either, that's why I brought up for discussion. Has to be coincidence.
I think what he meant is AFTER they move to open which you have expressed they do with little effort (paper) what happens to the little tabs? is there still some portion exposed on the leading edge of the broadhead? If so then they will slow the penetration because even though they move easy, once fully open and at their stopping point they wont move anymore. Unless those "tabs" dissapear completely they will slow the penetration.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nope, BigJ, once open they are as smooth as any 2 blade broadhead on the market which brings up another point, 2 blades penetrating better than 3 blades etc....

I'll just have to take one with Muzzy's next fall just to see. I had both in my quiver this year but of course too, I'm shooting a faster more KE setup and the only deer I shot with it this year I spined......not a good example. [&:]

Quick Reply: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.