Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..?? >

Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Old 12-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

I don't know.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Macho don't got jack sheet to do with any of it. Rob's not sticking arrows in the ground beyond the deer for who the hell knows why.....There are so many variables to consider, we could go on for years....Personally, I think it's the mechanicals, but that's my opinion. I wasn't there, I didn't see them, I don't know for sure.
I know why! When you reach the "gramps" stage in life, you just can't get pass throughs... it's just part of getting Old!!
Old 12-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

mo, seriously I think you have momentum coupled with KE mixed up. Its to my understanding that you have more momentum with a heavier arrow. What I am getting at is this. As you said earlier, at longer distances the heavier arrow shooting less FPS will drop more, but alas the lighter arrow also slows down faster, thus the heavier arrow should have more momentum upon impact.

At least that is what I have always read and heard............I know.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

mo, seriously I think you have momentum coupled with KE mixed up. Its to my understanding that you have more momentum with a heavier arrow. What I am getting at is this. As you said earlier, at longer distances the heavier arrow shooting less FPS will drop more, but alas the lighter arrow also slows down faster, thus the heavier arrow should have more momentum upon impact.

At least that is what I have always read and heard............I know.
The reason why momentum is greater with a heavier arrow is because the equation for momentum is mass*velocity. When you increase arrow weight, you can add roughly 3 grains of weight and only lose 1 FPS. So your momentum increases because your mass increases faster than your velocity decreases. I know this is really hard to explain in words.

For example, say you shoot a 350 grain arrow at 300 fps. This gives you .4655 lb-sec of momentum and 70 ft-lbs of KE.

A 400 grain arrow traveling 283 fps will have .5019 lb-sec of momentum and 71 ft-lbs of KE.

I wish I could tell you how much of a difference .0364 lb-sec makes.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:48 PM

Cougar, you are 100% correct. My only point though is that either way I will have enough of both.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Cougar, you are 100% correct. My only point though is that either way I will have enough of both.
You are right. But I think with lighter setups with low KE numbers, a heavier arrow will be beneficial to the shooter.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

My only point though is that either way I will have enough of both.
I know By the way, are you still going to go with mechanical broadheads or at least try them? Just wondering.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:41 PM

Yeah, I've been shooting Stingers all season, and have had good luck w/ them. I've kept a couple arrows w/ Hammerheads in my quiver for turkeys....But I like the idea of a big cutting diameter....I have all Hammerheads in my quiver now...no Stingers.

My biggest problem..... I like to tinker too darn much! LOL......Tinkering is how I learn, though.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't know.
Now THAT is funny.

Jeff
Old 12-27-2006, 07:53 AM

To the original post
"Ideally" both arrows have the same KE, one arrow faster but lighter, the other slower but heaver.
Penetrationis a function of the charactistics of the arrow(diameter, target resistence, etc.) There are many other variables (losses) to consider. Velocity should be taken at the very instantance just before impact, the problem with this some losses have already occurred (air friction, etc.) and are probably different for different arrows thatinitially possesedthe same KE when loosed.

Although I am a BowTech man, the best technacal response I have seen is on the Mathews web site by thereengineer(s) and the formulas are correct. You may want to go to that site and look atthe "ideal" response/conditions and maybe pose a/the question to them. http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=39781

I have also found some interesting information on the following web site http://homepage.ntlworld.com/joetapley/

Respectifully Dave

Quick Reply: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.