Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 OH NO the shoulder! >

OH NO the shoulder!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OH NO the shoulder!

Old 12-22-2006, 08:02 AM

Default RE: OH NO the shoulder!

ORIGINAL: waiting_for_a_gift

The situations I was referring to were low shoulder hits. If you hit the lower end of the humerus or below it, sometimes there is no penetration of the chest cavity, even with a 30-06. I can remember twice with 30-06, twice with .35 Rem, several times with arrows hits like this. The results are always the same, lots of blood at first, then you lose them.
Then you arent really talking about the shoulder. When we talk about a shoulder hit, we are talking about a direct hit to the scalpula (sp?), which is otherwise, and correct me if I am wrong, referred to as a shoulder blade. Now, if you are hitting BELOW the humerous, it is flat out just a bad shot. Seems like it would be classified as more of a leg shot to me. And, regarding your comment that you have seen a 30-06 not penetrate it (the humerous), I am going to have to say that is pretty inaccurate. I have seen a 30.06 penetrate many thick metals, as well as seeing it penetrate wood up to 10 inches thick (low density softwood). I cant see how a bullet carrying so much KE couldnt penetrate the humerous
Old 12-22-2006, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: OH NO the shoulder!

Wheather its to late to track him now is up to you.
I have a tactic the works for me that sounds pretty weird.
If i get in that situation, which i have. I simply get on my hands and knees simply walk the trail. where it stops I pick a direction. You see alot more when your that low. I make it into like a CSI game, Takes the frustration out of it!
[hr]

My two cents