HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Swamp Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/170948-swamp-hunting.html)

chr103yod 12-19-2006 08:02 AM

Swamp Hunting

I'm thinking of setting up in a swamp near my house for second archery season. There's a lot of deer activity going in and out of the swamp but you usually don't see anything until after dark. I figured if I set up in the swamp I might get a shot at something. Have any of you had luck hunting in swamps, or am I wasting my time?

Legacy357 12-19-2006 08:38 AM

RE: Swamp Hunting

yes...hunt the swamp....place that I hunt upstate has an awesome swamp...i typically hunt the edges but have moved into the swamp many times....sometimes the best thing is to get a tree stand but not that high...like 10-15 up depending on what you can see....great place to nail a second season deer

Killer_Primate 12-19-2006 08:59 AM

I love the swamp. I have two permanent stands in a swamp. I disagree with Legacy. My stands are high and I like them that way. I put a blind around them and sit back and enjoy. During pressure you should see a lot of deer traveling through.

inhuntr 12-19-2006 09:54 AM

If I were you I would go back there and hunt the swamp. I think that deer like to bed down in swamps, but that is just me.

GRIZZLYMAN 12-19-2006 10:46 AM

One of my leases backs up to a swamp. I hunted there on Sunday, and saw an amazing assortment of wildlife, but no deer. But, I always see turkey back in there.

axp117crow 12-19-2006 11:45 AM

i hunt swamps or swamp edges almost exlusively, one reason is that it is a pretty dominant trait where i hunt in NE PA. we have fields and open woods and some thickets also, but i love the big swamp bucks

buckhunter14 12-19-2006 11:47 AM

Thats my best setup. They feel comfortable in their before dark. BE CAREFUL though. You are entering their sanctuary and it won't take them long to realize the deal is up. It will behard to get a good spot with some scouting, since it is this late in the season. Good luck though.

ijimmy 12-19-2006 11:51 AM

If I hunt around home , its in the swamp ,they do like to go there when there is presure , find a dry spot in the middel of the swamp , and hunt its edge

njbuck22 12-19-2006 11:53 AM

Swamps are great places to hunt, deer feel safe in there, most people dont like to get muddy and wet, so it is the recipe for success.

davidmil 12-19-2006 02:23 PM

Sure hunt the swamps. Tread lightly. Find any little rise in it and you'll probably find deer. It doesn't have to be of any size really. Usually most of them you can shoot across easily. Find some trails connecting a couple elevated areas and you're golden. It gets dark early. It gets light late. Deer will move around feeling protected. Shot the second nearest deer at 7 yards after having taped on a rain suit and wading an arm pit deep beaver pond in the dark to get to one such rise.