HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   bow kill claim on another board (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/170943-bow-kill-claim-another-board.html)

GMMAT 12-19-2006 07:10 AM

bow kill claim on another board

I won't even get into what type of bow (mfg.), but the thread author claims to have shot a deer with his new (_______) bow......and the shot was from 56 yds. When asked how much penetration he got....he said it was a complete pass-through.....and that the arrow was stuck several inches into the ground. Oh yeah....shot was from the ground.

I this probable....given the trajectory? I'm skeptical.

jeff

Wheatley 12-19-2006 07:19 AM

RE: bow kill claim on another board

I think it could possibly happen. The deer I shot at 35 yards had a complete pass thru and went rigth thru the center of a rib on the offside shoulder and went into the ground quite a bit. I shot it from the ground as well. If the arrow didn't hit a rib dead on I think it could happen.

I shoot 30" draw at about 67#'s and use cut on contact 4 blade stingers.

BobCo19-65 12-19-2006 07:21 AM

I believe a compound is capable of that. A lot of unknowns in the scenerio though.

buttonbuckmaster 12-19-2006 07:21 AM

I think I know what site you are talking about....90 yard bowkills are the norm over there. I need the tape measure they use....I'd be 12 feet tall.

GMMAT 12-19-2006 07:25 AM

Mods please move this. I'm sorry I posted i on the wrong board.

Jeff

RandallT 12-19-2006 07:28 AM

It is a shame a bow mfg. would condone that length of shot. I am sure people can do it, but not an average weekend hunter/shooter like myself. I think one problem with our sport issome poeple don't know or stick to their limits.

GMMAT 12-19-2006 07:29 AM

My questioning stems from the angle (or lack thereof) of the shot. If there' very little downward angle....how's it gonna stick inches into the ground? The arrow's traveling 60 yds.....and it's gone (presumeably) through a deer's body cavity (maybe a gutshot???...lol). I'm wondering what the KE is at the point of impact???

Just some things I'd like to know, better.

Jeff

Germ 12-19-2006 08:18 AM

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Mods please move this. I'm sorry I posted i on the wrong board.

Jeff
I may have a bald head, but atleast I know where to post stuff[&:]

KodiakArcher 12-19-2006 11:29 AM

There's too many unknowns but yes, that kind of performance is possible. Remember that an arrow doesn't travel in a straight line and the arch of the trajectory on a 60 yard shot has it pointed down toward the ground when it reaches the target. There could also have been an embankment behind the animal or it could have been a downhill shot. I center punched a rib on entry of my reindeer this year at 39 yds and had a complete pass thru with the arrow carrying on another 15 feet and burying half the shaft in the tundra beyond with a 500 grain arrow and expandable head at 71 lbs draw.