HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   look at my lease and help!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/170907-look-my-lease-help.html)

tckim1969 12-18-2006 08:40 PM

look at my lease and help!!

I have a lease on a property in central kansas. the property is really awesome, and i know there are some huge bucks out there. i ran across a blood trail several weeks ago and was able to track down a 2 1/2 year old buck, 8 pts and scored over 140. someone had shot him and lost the trail, the coyotes had already gotten to him... he's the largest deer i've ever seen in person.

The better news is thatmy friend saw his brother (or uncle)3 days later.... only he has 10" brow tines to round off hisimpressive rack.

i have found a sizable cedar thicket wheremany trails go into and out of...but it is so thick thatthey are never going to move unless they want to...is there a way to set up on the bedding area?... or should i even try? there are tons of huge rubs in the area...

i've attached a aerial of the farm
any advise would be helpful.

Attachment (1)

tc kim
Switchback XT, 60#, 27" draw
100 gr Montec
Easton Axis

MEhuntalot 12-18-2006 09:37 PM

RE: look at my lease and help!!

I dont know much about hunting whitetails in the midwest but take a look at this map I found of your lease...the color photos help to tell the difference between cover types

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=38.140425&lon=-95.704528&z=16&r=356&src=ggl

when the page comes up click where it says "Flash Earth" and your spot will show up...

MichaelHunsucker 12-18-2006 09:38 PM

The colder it gets they will eventually have to make their way to the food sources (the fields im assuming). You might want to set up in between the bedding area and the food source because the big bucks might not move till later. If i were you i would probably set up and glass that field one night to see if you can find out what trails they are using to get to the field.

StealthHtr22 12-18-2006 09:48 PM

Eastout the finger of the woods or out theSouth/Southeast finger. I would check out where those fingers of woods meet the bigger section leading toward the bedding area. Try the corners there. Scouting is key.

BuckAlley 12-18-2006 10:19 PM

The north, east, and southeast fingers would be my focal points. Inside field corners at those fingers. Setup in a.m. on the bedding area end of those fingers, and on the farther ends for evenings & food sources. The east finger looks the best, and appears goes right to a river or creek. Water source!

CTJohnB 12-19-2006 07:13 AM

man that is a great map MEHuntalot, yah I would do the same as eveyone else youcould always set up a trail cam if you have one to help in the scouting to see what area's are day or night activity just remember the colder it gets the more they will move durring the day for food focus on the food and find a good tree that will break up your outline very well the big buskcs get big because they are smart and deer are very smart animals and can and do pattern hunters Good luck hope you guys can tag him. personally unles it's the last day I would stay away from the bedding area try to find the trails in or out of the bedding area thats what I do here in the NE and it works for me most of the time aytime I hunted a bedding area it wa s a one shot deal and they moved. Good luck I hope you can tag that big boy

chr103yod 12-19-2006 07:44 AM

I would check 20-50 yrds along the edges of the fields and also those fingers just like everyone elese mentioned.