HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   ladies arrow/head combo? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/170898-ladies-arrow-head-combo.html)

tcuser 12-18-2006 07:48 PM

ladies arrow/head combo?

hey guys I was wondering what is a good broadhead/arrow combo for my girlfriend to shoot?? Come hunting time she will be shooting around 40# draw weight and 24-25" arrow?? what a decent broadhead I should look at..She is shooting a browning Micro adrenaline Bow..thanks

OhioHunter222 12-18-2006 07:57 PM

RE: ladies arrow/head combo?

carbon express terminators, i think they have a youth style. for broadheads get some 100 grn slick tricks and she will be good.

No Mercy 12-18-2006 08:48 PM

I use 75 grain muzzys, but I have a really light arrow

mauser06 12-18-2006 08:55 PM

any arrow cut to proper legnth and proper spine will suffice...id try to get a decint weight..i wouldnt go super light or super heavy..

as for heads...id go with a cut on contact head..something like a magnus stinger 2 blade head for the best penetration from a light bow..

get her shooting good and teach her the killzones and tell her how important it is to make that arrow count and find its mark and she will have no problem bringing down game.

tcuser 12-18-2006 09:34 PM

thanks keep the sugestions coming she will be shooting fixed blades for sure, I was thinking somthing with a smaller diameter, with around an 90-100 grain head for her first several hunts I will be over her shoulder to help cut the learning curve, I shoot very often so now I have a partner, so practice time will be there.all my spots I hunt (thickets) you cant shoot past 20 yards (with trimed out lanes) so her setup should be good 20 yards and in for sure with the right arrow head combo

Bob H in NH 12-19-2006 06:40 AM

My wife shoots 25.5 inch 2013's with 100 gr Stinger 2-blades. Weight comes in just at 400 gr. Not real fast but should penetrate through just about anything within 20-25 yards.

YooperMike 12-19-2006 06:52 AM

My wife shoots Carbon Express Maxima 250s. She had started with the Terminators but they are super heavy so she picked up about 20 fps with the Maximas. Any cut on contact will be a good bet for broadheads, especially with the lower poundage.

Talondale 12-19-2006 07:00 AM

For a hunting arrow I'd try to get a combo that produces 7-9 grains per pound of draw. So for your 40# bow 280 - 360 grain arrow. (Wow that seems light, but you only have a 24" arrow) For that low a poundage you want to make sure they are flying perfect so that no energy is dissipated through erratic flight.

TeeJay 12-19-2006 07:27 AM

Katie shoots 400 Beamans with 100 grain Rocky Mtn iron Heads. Awsome little cuton contact fixed blade. She shot a 100 lb doe this year and a clean pass through with catching 1 rib! She is shooting 47 lbs threw a Q2 and it works out super! BTW I shoot the same arrow/BH combo. So we can switch arrows back and forth works out pretty slick.

tcuser 12-19-2006 07:33 AM

thanks again I guess my major issue was selecting the right broadhead, I am a fan of complete pass throughs rather than big diameter anyways..I myselft shoot rocket steelheads 100 grains for that reason..