Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Have you had better luck just sitting there or rattling, hit the can, grunt? >

Have you had better luck just sitting there or rattling, hit the can, grunt?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you had better luck just sitting there or rattling, hit the can, grunt?

Old 12-18-2006, 06:55 AM

Default Have you had better luck just sitting there or rattling, hit the can, grunt?

Just courious as to what you all do. I usually hit the can and use the grunt. I know a few guys who are afraidto using anything for fear of scaring the deer away.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have you had better luck just sitting there or rattling, hit the can, grunt?

I have better luck just sitting.Ill continue to try,I think im doing something wrong.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have you had better luck just sitting there or rattling, hit the can, grunt?

Not too much luck with the can...although I just started using it a little later this season. I use a grunt mostly.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Depends on the time of year for me.

Early season: Just sit there until I seea buckthat I believe is not coming my way and then try gunting.

Pre-Rut: I'll do some rattling and grunting.

Rut: I use the can and do some grunting.

Post-Rut: I'll do some grunting and maybe the can.

Late-Season: Just like early season.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I've used a grunt call a "little". I honestly think I'm only educating the deer to my presene, though (mostly).

I figure if a buck goes past me this time.....I'll see him, again. I'd rather him not know I was/had been in there. But that's just me. I don't use rattling anything....and I've never used scents in my core hunting area.

Jeff
Old 12-18-2006, 09:03 AM

I have had great luck in the early season with the primos can. The can is the onlyreason why I shot the doe I did. She was walking away from me at 75 yards so I hit the can. She spun right around coming in to a perfect 20 yard shot. I have not really grunted this year. When I have the deer didn't respond.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: inhuntr

I have had great luck in the early season with the primos can. The can is the onlyreason why I shot the doe I did. She was walking away from me at 75 yards so I hit the can. She spun right around coming in to a perfect 20 yard shot. I have not really grunted this year. When I have the deer didn't respond.
Which can? Small, medium, or large? I've only ahd luck with the medium can.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: ALHunter74

ORIGINAL: inhuntr

Which can? Small, medium, or large? I've only ahd luck with the medium can.
It was the small can. It is the only one out of the three I have luck with.