Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The good news and the bad news >

The good news and the bad news

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The good news and the bad news

Old 12-17-2006, 06:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default The good news and the bad news

Went out for my lasthunt of the season yesterday afternoon. I got out nice and early so I can get all settled in my Summit. I unpack my climber, wrap the cables around the tree, and ready to get climbing. The wind was doing some strange things and I finally decide it's not a very good wind at all for that tree.
Sooooooooooo I unwrap and lug it about 100 yards away where the wind will be in my favor better. And of course sure enough about an hour after I get setup look at what comes walking through. A BIG racked 10 pointer about 20 yards away from the tree I was originally going to climb[:@][8D]. After he cleared and wasn't going to head my way, I just put my hands in my face and had a good laugh. Oh well.... go with the first instincts I guess.

The good new is he's still walking around with the last day of late archery/muzzleloader today in NY. I think I'm about the only one left in the woods in my county which is good. The bad news......... I'm an idiot![:@]
Old 12-17-2006, 07:04 AM
Banned

Default RE: The good news and the bad news

Reminds me of the old saying,"If the dog hadn't stop to $hi&, he would have caught the rabbit." LOL..
Old 12-17-2006, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds so familiar to me. I can feel yer pain.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:31 AM

Next year go with your instincts.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-17-2006, 07:45 AM

A deerto think about until next season and maybe you can find his antlers in a couple mounths.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Went out for my lasthunt of the season yesterday afternoon. I got out nice and early so I can get all settled in my Summit. I unpack my climber, wrap the cables around the tree, and ready to get climbing. The wind was doing some strange things and I finally decide it's not a very good wind at all for that tree.
Sooooooooooo I unwrap and lug it about 100 yards away where the wind will be in my favor better. And of course sure enough about an hour after I get setup look at what comes walking through. A BIG racked 10 pointer about 20 yards away from the tree I was originally going to climb[:@][8D]. After he cleared and wasn't going to head my way, I just put my hands in my face and had a good laugh. Oh well.... go with the first instincts I guess.

The good new is he's still walking around with the last day of late archery/muzzleloader today in NY. I think I'm about the only one left in the woods in my county which is good. The bad news......... I'm an idiot![:@]
Get back out there..... Season does not end until Tuesday. Bow and muzzleloader. Southern Zone anyway..
Old 12-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Not exactly the same scenario but reminds me of more than once of something I did that resulted in me not getting a shot at a few great bucks. Don't repeat "if I had only done this or that" because it will haunt you!
Old 12-17-2006, 08:11 AM

Good decision....regardless of the outcome. If you would have sat in that tree w/ the wrong wind, you wouldn't have seen him anyway. Smart hunters make smart moves, and that right there was a smart move.

Good luck on him today!!
Old 12-17-2006, 08:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you would have sat in that tree w/ the wrong wind, you wouldn't have seen him anyway.
That's what I keep telling myself [8D]. Helps me get through the day. I have a good idea where he (or others) may be bedded today. Hopefully he'll show himself again tonight.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:24 AM

That stinks

Quick Reply: The good news and the bad news

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.