Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who are you teaching to hunt? >

Who are you teaching to hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who are you teaching to hunt?

Old 12-15-2006, 12:13 PM

Default RE: Who are you teaching to hunt?

I go out with my dad and learn something new everytime but he only gun hunts i am thinking about buying him a bow, this year I took of 9 days of work to head back to where i grew up and hunt with my dad during deer season, the first 5 days I hunted with my bow, and Dad bless his heart went out with me even tho he didnt have to, with nothing other than a .22 to shoot a squirel or a coyote that crossed his path he endoured the cold, the snow and the rain just to be with me and try and help me get a deer. I love deer season because its almost the only time that I get to spend with my dad one on one since he drives a truck and isn't home a whole lot. Also I am working with my wife even if it is just shooting the bow with me, I got her a bow for Christmas, hope that goes over well, and I take my cousins out whenever I am back and try to teach them different things that I have learned I think they like to go out with me as much as i enjoy coming back to the area and hunting, and I cant forget taking my sister out and her getting her first squirel, she even has a picture of it on her wall in South Carolina. Sorry about rambling on but I think that it is our responsibility to show others no matter what thier age is how much joy, excitement and pride there is in hunting. The children that we teach are the future of this and we need to insure that years from now everyone has a chance to feel what we feel everytime we step into the woods.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I must say (or maybe it's the home made wine) all of these post are great! You guys are the real deal!
Old 12-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Son is pretty well taught, Daughter started going with me this year she's 8. I have a buddie I started Turkey hunting two years ago and his son,and the kid next store seems interested.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

This is what I do.

President of Youth Outdoor Connection, Inc.

Ask me about it!
Thanks. Great stuff there! I will ask you about it!
Old 12-15-2006, 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: nodog

ORIGINAL: jones123

From a post I put in the Big Game section a couple weeks ago; sorry for the repeat. This is my son's Venture Scout Crew (BSA) that I took that past season. Five boys got six deer. Boy Scouting is coming out witha hunting merit badge.

These are all rifle (as you can see), but next year we are going for archery elk, but I saw the question, so Ihope its OK I put this in bowhunting.
Wow Awesome!
Thanks, nodog.

It was awesome. More rewarding and enjoyable than almost anything I have done hunting. You can find more of the story down in "Big Game" about Nov 27 or 28.

Only problem is that they might expect a similar success ratio next time. As with all hunting, luck and opportunity went our way on this hunt. When we go for archery elk they will learn about the other side of the ratio! Which is as much part of hunting as the kill!

I now have much more of an interest in making ethical, sporting, safe, fair chase hunting a true part of Scouting.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

right now my 15 year old son who is an awesome hunter already, my 7 year old son is tagging along now and my 13 year old daughter is into other sports but used to tag along with me when she was younger but does appreciate the outdoors.
Dan
Old 12-15-2006, 06:44 PM

My dad taught me the ropes of gun as early as age 3. I learned bowhunting on my own and unfortunatly my dad donest have time for bowhunting.

Me and my best friend are hunting nuts and we go one of our other buddies that didnt care into hunting, we bought him a bow and got him set up and helped him with his shooting, and now he is pretty into it and now all 3 of us form a hunting pack FOR LIFE! Also when I have a wife and children of my own I will defiantly pass down the family tradition, too soon for that though, only 18!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:13 PM

My son whose 4 and mygirlfriends.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

My son is 4 and will be 5 in Feb. I only bow hunt betweenthe first of Oct. and the end of Dec. I can't wait until next season to get him out there (just sitting and enjoying our time together while trying to explain a few things.) I always like to go out the weekend before the season opens just to see what might be coming around. My first year hunting (I think 6 years ago now) I counted 23 deer within 3 hours. Some could have been the same ones but most were coming from the same opening into the field. I was encouraged by a lot of people on this site to start including my son as soon as possible. I don't think it will take much to hook him as soon as that first deer comes by. He already includes me inour pray before dinner to get a deer. Makes me proud. I have a little girl due in Feb also and I can't wait for the two of us to start showing her a few things. I have taken my wife a few times and I want to get her shooting with me, we'll see how that goes.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

As others said I am still teaching me!!

Also been teaching my brother who is 16 years younger than me, he just took his first deer with a gun last week. He had only scored with bow prior.

And teaching my 4 year old son and my 6 year old daughter.

Quick Reply: Who are you teaching to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.