Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WI hunters kill wolves >

WI hunters kill wolves

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WI hunters kill wolves

Old 12-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WI hunters kill wolves

Over in the big game forums, (trying to include the gun hunters as well) I started a poll to shoot or not shoot wolves?Feel free to join in

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1870009
Old 12-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I think what people get concerned about is when they start seeing them in "THEIR WOODS". You can throw all the statistics about wolves only taking 1 1/2 percent of the deer population at them you want, but when they see 6 or 8 wolves in their woods they see the end of "Their Spot". Wolf home range in Wisconsin is so much smaller than in Canada, why???? but because there's more to eat in a close range. A pack can have as small a range as 25 miles in Minnesota or Wisconsin, where as it's several hundred miles in Canada. So now the guy sees 6 or 8 wolfs killing 300-400 deer within 25 miles.... well sure it makes him nervous. He may have a point if that's the territory of his home grown wolves. But, as soon as the population tapers off they'll increase their range and spread out allowing for growth of the herd. That said, add a couple years of bad winter kills and the guy surely will panic. I sat on this one ridge in Indiana this year bow hunting. Down in the valley a lady has 50 wolves in pens. What a sound they made a last light. You're sitting there and suddenly 50 wolves are serenading you. Wild.

I think you will always have people that are going to shoot some. I think because of that... there will never be a season. They just won't flourish enough to become a problem, at least not in my lifetime. The biggest problems arise when they decide cows, calfs, sheep and other domestic critters are so much easier to get than a deer. If they plant them in my woods, I'm sure I'll try to get them to move.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

And stopusing the arguementabout legal/illegal unless you never drive over 65 mph on the interstate, come to a complete stop at all stop signs, and report all of your out of stateinternet purchases on your state income taxes. We've all knowingly broken the law.
So you support people shooting deer illegaly?No problem with poachers?Hell, I drive over the speed limit I should be able to rob a bank without getting more then a ticket right?Run a stop a sign, shoot an endangered animal, its all the same right.Wanna go bald eagle hunting this weekend?

Maybe you need to re-read my post. I have stated that wolves have NO benefit to anyone. Not to the tourism market, not to retail outlets, not to the habitat/environment... Deer DO have benefit. Poaching a wolf is a lot better than poaching a deer.
Dude, what I posted was a direct quote from your post, Your the one making references to self rightous people not wanting wolves shot, you posted it, why act like I was taking your post out of context, its right there for everyone to read.

You got this wrong, Idaho and Montana do infact have awolf management plan in place, Wyoming on the other hand wants to wipe them out,
You are correct, I was reading an artical about Idaho at the time and misstated the states name, my bad.

Dude hate to break this to you butKEVINSANDERS akabear man is a big time tree hugger, yellowstone is loaded with people like him! They state a lot of facts that are not true but because they are experts then they can't be wrong. One example is wolves only kill the old and the young, boy oh boy, thenmany of hunters and outfittersmust need theirvision checked becaue we have seen wolveskilling very healthyelk, inculding big bulls.Just becasue he has adegree in biology and he teachesat a few universitysdoesn't make him a wolf expert. Suresomebilogist agree with him, but many other don't. Even our local state biologist are split aboutright down the middle over the issure and management of wolves.
Lets see, kevin Sanders is a tree huggerand every biologist that shares his view is wrong.So are you saying that the drought and hunting hasnt impacted the elk herd?How about the bears killing the calfs in the spring?Grizzlys have went from 150 bears in 1987 to over an estimated 600 in yellowstone alone.Suppose these biologists that study these kills cant tell a wolf track from a bear track?Why are you singling wolves out of all these contributing factors as the sole reason for the elks decline?Ill agree completely that theres a lotta self appointed "experts" that dont know **** but they cant all be making these things up.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

ORIGINAL: nodog

Why would they go farther than they had too? As far as I'm concerned any impact on the deer herd is more than I care for. The only benefit I've seen listed to the wolf is it attacks coyotes. What happens when it's done with those? Wolves kill coyotes. Coyotes=dogs. Wolves kill dogs. Do you have any idea how many dog lovers there are? Forget about the deer. Should people be forced to live with a threat to what they consider a family member?

I've read enough history, both local and world, with no intension of learning about the wolf, that detailed mans struggles with the wolf to know I don't care to live with them. Interestingly enough that same history predicts that man one day will be the dinner of not just the wolf but all predators, so the current love affair that some have for them is no surprise to me. They have to get there some how, if things are to be as thought to be.

An interesting observation. People often resemble the dog/cannine they love, in looks and characteristics.

Here's another. The American natives attacked the settlers in the night. What were they resembling when they did? What gave them the idea?

Speechless...pass me what you're smokin'...cuz you in the spirit world bro
[/quote]

I would have thought that being such an authority on the wolf you would haveat least read some of the history of them, not some feel good, new age phylosphy created in you when you were a baby watching Disney shows.

Just wondering if you could enlighten us for our education how big the wolf packs were during the first1000 years ad. in Europe?Some of the hunts that took place were amazing.

Care to smoke some history? Start reading. I've been at it for years. Did you know that Ohio my home was once considered the wild west. It's history is well documented. The struggels the settlers had with many predators are documented in what was once a well use 2 volume set written and rewritten by a man named Henry Howe. He travel all 88 counties. The first addition was in the mid 1800's, the second in the end. Large volumes which would take sometime to read.Much can be found on the net.

The feast spoken of is a spiritual thing found in the bible, another history book. Read that one 7 times straight through in 3 years. What I've read there and in history books goes along with what many have said and experienced.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:37 PM

I guess my biggest problem with this whole thread is that hunters are trying to save deer and elk frombeing killed bywolves, yet they are killing deer and elk themselves. It sounds so stupid.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:43 PM

I would have thought that being such an authority on the wolf you would haveat least read some of the history of them, not some feel good, new age phylosphy created in you when you were a baby watching Disney shows.

Just wondering if you could enlighten us for our education how big the wolf packs were during the first1000 years ad. in Europe?Some of the hunts that took place were amazing.

Care to smoke some history? Start reading. I've been at it for years. Did you know that Ohio my home was once considered the wild west. It's history is well documented. The struggels the settlers had with many predators are documented in what was once a well use 2 volume set written and rewritten by a man named Henry Howe. He travel all 88 counties. The first addition was in the mid 1800's, the second in the end. Large volumes which would take sometime to read.Much can be found on the net.

The feast spoken of is a spiritual thing found in the bible, another history book. Read that one 7 times straight through in 3 years. What I've read there and in history books goes along with what many have said and experienced.
I am more confused after reading this post than I have ever been in my life.[8D]

Can you please explain to me the relevance that the Bible has to this discusson.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: _Dan

I am more confused after reading this post than I have ever been in my life.[8D]

Can you please explain to me the relevance that the Bible has to this discusson.
Nodog likes to talk in jeberish, what he is saying is "No big deer in Ohio", you just have to read between the lines.[8D]
Old 12-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

We can talk on level ground when you quit reading someone elses studdies and opinions and get some real ones of your own.Actually see whats going on out there nation wide and not your little corner of the world.It may work for you where you are,but not for everyone.
ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: furgitter

It sounds like you are a little bit narrow minded on the subject.Although it seems that you are the only one who has shot any.Most wolves in alaska and canada are trapped or snared.Its for the fur market,which still exists today, and some people still make a good portion of there living at it.So the whole thing you were talking about minnimal impact due to harvesting,I will take as your opinion.And it seems you want to pick and choose what part of a fact you want to display.Your responses are getting kind of week anyway,so its probobly best we just agree to disagree.
And it sounds like you are a little uneducated on the subject. If you think my arguemets are weak, its because I have to keep them simple for people like you that have no knowledge of the subject matter. Do a google search, get some facts, and then come back and we can talk on level ground. Until then, have a great day and good luck with the animal control business.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

Why would they go farther than they had too? As far as I'm concerned any impact on the deer herd is more than I care for. The only benefit I've seen listed to the wolf is it attacks coyotes. What happens when it's done with those? Wolves kill coyotes. Coyotes=dogs. Wolves kill dogs. Do you have any idea how many dog lovers there are? Forget about the deer. Should people be forced to live with a threat to what they consider a family member?

I've read enough history, both local and world, with no intension of learning about the wolf, that detailed mans struggles with the wolf to know I don't care to live with them. Interestingly enough that same history predicts that man one day will be the dinner of not just the wolf but all predators, so the current love affair that some have for them is no surprise to me. They have to get there some how, if things are to be as thought to be.

An interesting observation. People often resemble the dog/cannine they love, in looks and characteristics.

Here's another. The American natives attacked the settlers in the night. What were they resembling when they did? What gave them the idea?

Speechless...pass me what you're smokin'...cuz you in the spirit world bro

[/quote]

How is it that you presume so much of what I do or do not know and how much I read or don't read? The fact that you read one book written by one man regarding one state is supposed to "wow" me? [] Sure the early settlershad problems...they were "settling" wild country...hence the term settle or calm. I hope you have realized that we are not them and now is not then and the comparison is apples and oranges. In the big picture...which is bigger than your ability to desperately search out irrelavent and disregarded articles supportive of your archaic beliefs on the internet...there are far more scientific conclusions and findings as to the benefits to the overall ecosystem of a wild population of wolves. From flora to fauna they are beneficial...that is the big picture which is averse to your rather myopic tunnel vision view of the villianous evil wolf. Need I post links to articles and studies?
Old 12-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Among the wild animals were red deer, which was a beautiful animal, and numerous in these parts up to 1825; the last one known in the township was a doe that remained on the north half of Section 16 during the summer of 1843, and was killed by Mr. Benjamin Allen in November of that year. Other animals were the gray fox, red fox (first seen here about 1844), raccoons, opossums, skunks, minks, muskrats, rabbits, gray and black squirrels, red squirrels (first seen here in 1850), blue- rats (the pioneer rat), the Norway rat (which immigrated here about 1838), brown bear (one found as late as 1825), the gray wolves. Elk horns were found, and yet are found in the lowlands, but the animal became extinct prior to settlements. The last gray wolf was killed about 1820, by Abraham Inlow, he being at quite a risk. Mr. Inlow was crossing the open prairie now owned by Charles Stewart; northeast quarter of Section 30; just as he entered the prairie, the wolf jumped from the grass and ran in the direction he was going. His horse started after and soon overtook the wolf, when it turned and started back. The horse stopped suddenly, turning also. Mr. Inlow, now excited, urged his horse and overtook the wolf before it reached the timber; when overtaken the second time, it turned short, turning again into the prairie; when overtaken the third time, its squatted in the long grass. Mr. Inlow now slipped quietly from his horse and grabbed the wolf by both hind legs. He soon saw he had his hands full, the wolf snapping furiously at his legs and arms; having no knife or other weapon, he started backward for the timber, twisting and kick

[hr]

740 - HISTORY OF CLARK COUNTY.
ing the wolf all the while. Upon reaching the timber, he dispatched the animal by throwing it against the standing trees."

Here's one. One of the reasons I read these books is for the great hunting stories.

Quick Reply: WI hunters kill wolves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.