Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What was your worst hunt? >

What was your worst hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What was your worst hunt?

Old 12-13-2006, 05:26 AM

Default RE: What was your worst hunt?

My worst hunt is when a GW came walking right to my blind asking questions. That dude was a true DH.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

The worst hunt I've had was the time I fell out of my treestand about 11 years ago , forgot my harness that day.
I was 24 feet up and seated when my stand sliped loose and tiped , I took a 20 foot drop hitting evey branch on the way down.
My whole entire left side was sore and bady bursied although I didn't break any bones , I remember I had a hard time breathing and couldn't walk very well.
Needless to say that incident put me out for the rest of the season that year , lesson learned don't leave home without your harness.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine was November 11 of this year. I went to hunt my favorite stand in a neighboring county. I have hunted this tree for about 15 years, always saw deer there. I had hunted the stand 4 times this year and hadn't seen a thing. On this particular day, I wasn't dressed warm enough and the wind was cutting right through me. I decided to get down and head about 50 yards south into the timber to get out of the wind. I was wondering why I hadn't seen ANY deer from the stand....I found out why when I got down. Some jerk had a meth lab set up about 50 yards south of me in the honeysuckle!! LP cylinders, milk jugs, camp fuel cans, plastic tubing....a huge mess and stunk like nothing I've ever been around. Cops came and cleaned it up....still haven't seen a thing from that stand this year. I've pretty much written it off for the year.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Funny how these stories sometimes have ties......

I'll always remember 9/12/06. That's the day I saw the biggest bodied deer I've ever seen....and the day I injured that same deer from 12 yds. I was shaking like a leaf.

I didn't sleep that night. I followed a sparse blood trail for a while.....then grid searched through my best hunting area until 3:45AM. Nothing. I searched until noon the next day with my Labs...in the pouring rain.

That day was the worst.

It was warm the day after Thanksgiving.....and I backpacked my stand and gear into the woods about 1/2 mi. I remembered on the way that I'd left my haul line in my other shirt. I'll improvise. I remembered when I got to my tree that I'd left my release in the front seat of my truck. Cn't improvise that.....so I trek it back home. I'm sweating when I get back....and mad at myself.

I get situated and start seeing deer pretty soon. Iend up seeing the 8 pointer that I would latertake......andTHEN I see the brute I'd injured earlier in the year. He came in quickly to about 4 yds.....and then went directly beneath my stand (I was looking through the slats of my platform at him). He ws scenting where I had laid my gear to go get my release. He looked up.....and Ill never forgethow awesome it was seeing him. He was/is fine! What started out as a BAD day became my best day afield, this year.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2006, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took a week off of work to go hunting two years ago. I spent every waking minute of 7 days in the stand. Tried three different spots and only once saw a deer about 180 yards away. It was very humbling.

Tom
Old 12-13-2006, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got to camp one year and realized I had left my rifle bolt in my room at home.

Sorry for the rifle propaganda but this is the only board I read.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I also need to add this.....

I killed 2 deer, this year, that died within 10 yds of me. I heard both of them cry out in death. I'll never forget that. I think everyone who hunts should have to go through that. It makes me never lose sight of the fact that an animal dies when we're successful. They DESERVE our utmost respect. They paid the ultimate price.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2006, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

This year the cows got lose and ruined a weekend of hunting.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:35 AM

Heading to my stand the last weekend in October only to find a broken cable lock laying at the bottom of the tree.
2nd worst moment was this past weekend I find a note tacked to a tree beside my trailcam. "call this #XXX-XXX-XXXX".
I find out that the landowner I had permission to hunt about 500 acres had turned over hunting rights for the land to two brothers and all permission had to go through them.
When I called, the fellow told me that NO ONE had permission to hunt there any longer and that if I was caught there he would call the Game Warden and have me ticketed!
There was absolutely no reasoning with him even after I had explained that I've been hunting there the past 10 years and there were plenty of deer and land.
I even tried telling him I would call in advance and let him know where I would be on the land so we would run into each other.
The conversation turned tense and I knew it was just best that I say goodbye to my spot forever...[&o]
Actually now that I think about it, that day was worse than finding my climber stolen.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went bowhunting one day three years ago in the late season.Lots of ice and snow.It was in the morning and the stand I was in had one big branch about 15 ft up you had to kinda duck under to get to the top step.No way to use a safety harness going up or down.I got one ft on the top tree step, and my hand and other foot slipped out of the crotch above.I fell headfirst but somehow the pantleg on my coveralls wrapped around the treestep and I was hanging upside down.I grabbed the closest treestep with hand, about the same time the ziopped in my pantleg ripped out, it was enough to allow me to swing around as I fell, I half assed landed on my feet and wound up on my back looking up but wasnt hurt other then a huge bruise on my leg.Then it dawned on me, my bow was still hanging 15 ft above me and Id have to climb back up to get it

Quick Reply: What was your worst hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.