Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Been thinking

Old 12-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Been thinking

Hey guys, i just started bowhunting this year and i been thinking. When i shot at a 3d deer target at 20 yards the arrow wentnearly through and at 25 yards the arrow was sticking through. This got me thinking.It seems most like it when there arrow passes all the way througha deer when hunting.I was thinking if i turned my arrow speed down by going from 70lbs to 60lbs and maybe a 125gr broadhead instead of 100gr. The arrow would not pass through a deer when hunting.
My theory of course is that while the deer was running away the arrow would still be in the deer causing lots more damage and possibly resulting in quicker recovery.
I know i am new to this but this is just what i was thinking.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Been thinking

I am a big advocate of an exit hole of some sort. Out of a treestand they tend to be low and leave a heck of a lot better blood trail than an entrance hole unless you pinwheel the heart. If you don't want to pull the weight, then lower it but your rig will pass through on broadside lung/heart shots nearly every time either way. You don't need tons of weight for that..........
Old 12-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

I would just stick with what works best for you personally, I would rather pass through, A well placed passthrough puts them down quick, usually within sight, that has been my experience.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

I like pass through as well.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your theory is correct but marginal hits and even perfectly hit deer can travel FAR in a few seconds.You will need the blood trail to find the animal.An exit hole is the best way to achieve this because the entrance hole is usually too high.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

i too rather have my arrow blow right through a deer. broadheads kill by cutting..sure if its still in there its going to cut a little more..but it would cut more passing through and also benefit you with 2 holes..although broadheads cut bigger holes than your arrow itself the arrow can and will help close the hole and reduce blood on the ground..
Old 12-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't forget, it's better to have your arrow completely pass through the animal rather than stay in it especially with the broadhead out of the body cavity. The arrow could stop/clog the blood flow from the hole not to mention it's best to recover the arrow as some clue as to the hit.

A found arrow also could indicate a miss if clean of hair/blood etc...if you can't find your arrow, your missing a piece of the puzzle when necessary.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:06 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for discussing this. I too thought without an exit hole there would be less blood to follow. But the no pass through was on my mind. I tend to think alot when sitting in the woods.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go with there advise,in the old days with recurves the slice and dice with an arrow still in the deer was how you heard you wanted it arround here,but there were alot of deer not found.Go with a through shot and your chances are much better of getting realy good blood that you can follow blindfolded
Old 12-13-2006, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I had my first pass-through on Saturday morning. I know that finding that blood soaked arrow was PARAMOUNT on knowing what to do next.

jeff

Quick Reply: Been thinking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.