Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Huge Buck in MO makes 2 mistakes!! >

Huge Buck in MO makes 2 mistakes!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Huge Buck in MO makes 2 mistakes!!

Old 12-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Huge Buck in MO makes 2 mistakes!!

Ive been meaning to post this for a while but ive been a little busy. This is my cousin's deer that he killed in Montgomery Co., MO on November 7, 2006.

Let me start by saying my cousin is a casual bowhunter. He hunts with the family for the camraderie. He loves hunting but doesnt take it too seriously or get too excited. (no scentlock, no gadgets, no anything)Ive never actually seen him kill a deer beforethis. Now for the story........

On sunday he has a buck walk by in the morning he shoots and misses. One hour later another buck walks by he hits it and the tracking begins. 200 yds later the blood trail is over and it appears to be a bad hit. A search finds nothing.

Two days later, he is hunting from a different stand and another buck chase two does right by him. He whistles, it stops, he shoots. The buck runs a couple hundred yds and falls over dead. My uncle and I get the tractor and go help him get it and we almost fell off the tractor when we saw it. Absolutely huge. My cousin mikey isnt that excited and has no idea of the caliber of deer he shot. I literally had to convince him to get it mounted (i took it to the taxidermist myself).

Celebration ensues and we score him at 161 2/8 gross, 240 lbs on the hoof. During the skinning process we notice a wound on its back, we assume its from fighting. Little did we know, Later that evening while they were deboning it, Mikey cuts himself on a broadhead that is stuck in the bucks spine. YES, THIS WAS THE SAME BUCK THAT HE HAD WOUNDED TWO DAYS PRIOR!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!

His muzzy broadhead and 4" of arrow were stuck in its vertabrae, the spinal cord was not touched. Mikey shoots a mathews black max, w/ 500 grain arrows lauched at 290 FPS. The KE is incredible but it didnt bother this buck. (the deer was completely processed when i got in from hunting so i dont have pics of the broadhead in the spine)

And all this time i thought these big deer were smart!!!

Old 12-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Huge Buck in MO makes 2 mistakes!!

another pic. Mainframe 9 with a split brow tine. 21" spread, 13" g2's, 11" g3's. I thought it was a mule deer when i saw it.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

wow those tines are huge and tall

Old 12-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

just had that exact experience myself. My buddy shot a nice buck and while we were boning it out found a muzzy in the vertebrae, didn't touch spinal. His rack grew a little funky, and we're assuming that's why. Deer didn't have any problems at all with it except for the funky rack.

Here's another funny one, the buck I shot this year has a great story. My buddy chris had hunted with me the night before I shot it and shot a nice buck. We went to track and found barely any blood and looked for about 4 hours that night. We decided we'd hunt in the morning and then go look for it again. As me and my buddy are walking to go meet chris we see this buck down in the ditch. Long story shot I shoot it, gut it, and we find the graze mark on his back where my buddy chris had shot him the night before.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

Great deer and cool story.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:51 PM

nice buck, he was lucky to get the second chance
Old 12-12-2006, 05:53 PM

Thats a HUGE deer, Man he got lucky
Old 12-12-2006, 06:01 PM

Wow congrats.

I had that happen this year on my first deer ever with a bow.

it was a button buck and it came under me on the first day of the season and when i shot i just missed his spine and hit the oppisit back strap.
Well one week later here comes a button buck walking right to me. i shoot again i hit high but this time it went under the spine hitting the artery and both lungs and the deer went down with in 40 yds.
When i got up to him i saw he had a pretty fresh wound threw his back strap where i shot him one week earlyer.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:27 PM

Why didhe shoot that little thing. lol
Old 12-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great Buck, Congrats to Him.

Quick Reply: Huge Buck in MO makes 2 mistakes!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.