Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Highlight of your season, so far..... >

Highlight of your season, so far.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Highlight of your season, so far.....

Old 12-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Highlight of your season, so far.....

Mine is scoring on my first turkey ever. It was mid October and I was deer hunting out of my Double Bull when 10 birds walked by and I shot the lead one. Couldn't have been more excited!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine would have to be having a nice 5x5 bull elk standing and staring in my direction for at least 30 seconds and only 25yds away......did not take the shot as I was not comfrontable with the frontal shot.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:32 PM

high point was getting a shot a nice heavy racked buck.....low point was hitting branch and only wounding him (only good news is that the other 2 guys who hunt the property have seen him since and said he looked fine)
Old 12-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Getting within 40 yards of 13 different bull elk... and failing to get a shot. I say failing because there was one at 38 that had a branch behind his shoulder, but I could have easily just shot 4 inches back from the shoulder and cleared it. I thought I could get a better angle, but the wind shifted and he buggered out. I also snuck to within 25 yards of a bedded 6X6 and 3 cows, waited an hour and fifteen minutes for him to get up and then he decided to go exactly where he needed to in order to avoid any shooting opportunities. It stunk in one sense, but it was so much fun chasing them around.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

Got to hunt after finding out I was diagnosed with MS, After second opinion also found spinal cord being pinched by three cervical vertabrae. Had emrgency surgery on Nov 3rd. cut cervical vertabrae to allow room and remove problem discs. Didn't miss the opener on Nov 18.Family got me to a bean field and corner of some hardwoods. Passed a small buck turned out only deer I saw all year.Hunted 40 plus hrs after that slow here in Western Ny. I liked those 40 hrs so much it gives you a perspective of just how much we take for granted Wouldn't trade it for the world, well maybe a big boy who am I kidding.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

My highlight of the year has tobe 2 different ones, both with big bucks. On10/7 I had an encounter with a real monster, 160ish, and it was the closest I had even been to a big buck, and it was awesome. Thewind was PERFECT for the spot I was hunting, and naturally he comes in directly downwind, througha cut bean field that he would need to pack a lunch to get across.He got to with about 45 yards, then smelled me and took off to about 80 yards and just walked away. Either way, it was awesome to see one that big that close.

The second one was on 10/22 and it was a 10-point ofaround the same measurements that got even closer! Hefollowed two does across a field and I started freaking out because they were trotting toward me, so I scrambled to get into position and when they crested a slight rise in the topography, they spotted my decoy and froze, facing me. The buck was at around 30yards, but I will not take a frontal shot, and one of the does spooked and he took off with them. Again, just so cool to get that close!!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:52 PM

seeing a nice black bear during rifle season and letting him walk.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Spike

I finally got my first buck (6 point w/ a rifle) and a large doe (muzzleloader). Both are in the freezer and made the dinner plate at Thanksgiving. I struck out during bow but will be at it next year for another season . My goals for the remaining part of the season is 1. a Turkey, and 2. a late season buck, but if I don't see anything but woodpeckers I will have the biggest smile on my face.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Site Buck Guru

Seeing more mature bucks, by almost triple, of any season I've ever hunted.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

GregH:

Congrats.....but whatta YOU know, ya farmer?

Jeff

Quick Reply: Highlight of your season, so far.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.