Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Something that sticks in my craw. >

Something that sticks in my craw.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Something that sticks in my craw.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:27 AM

Default Something that sticks in my craw.

I don't remember if i started a thread like this before, but I decided to post it anyways.

The mentality of todays bowhunters has amazed me. I am specifically referring to the trend of purchasing a new bow every year. Now keep in mind that I am not trying to bash anyone by this thread, I just don't understand it.

I bought a new bow in 2000. The bow is a Darton Mountain that has 80% let off, 60-70 pounds draw, 35" ata, single cam, light weight, and capable of shooting around 300 fps. I bought this bow because my previous bow had energy wheels, was heavy, very long ata, and very slow. I wanted to upgrade...oh yeah...my old bow was purchased in 1994.

To me if you have a bow that is severly out-dated then buy a new bow. But, if you have a bow that is only a year old...what good does it do to buy a new one? The brand spankin new, greatest thing since sliced bread, better than individually wrapped cheese slices model can not have that many improvements over the model from the year before. Plus with bows costing around $500-$700 how can people afford to purchase a new bow year after year?

To me, and this is just my opinion, it does not make sence. My bow is six years old and can still compete with anything on the market today. I have no plans on buying a new one for a very long time...if ever. If you do buy a new bow every year, more power to ya. Give me some insite as to why. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Something that sticks in my craw.

I bought my Mathews in 2001 or 2002 I can't remeber but I feel the same way you do about when I will buy a new bow. However, I buy at least one new gun a year and most of them end up just sitting in my gun case. I just love guns, specifically handguns and military rifles (one lasting effect from the Marine Corps). Some people love bows like that, so heck why not? I know you are not bashing them, I just know how they feel in a way.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I bought a new Switchback, last year. I bought my son a new Browning Illusion for Christmas, last year.

I shot a lot of bows....to see if there was anything I liked better than mine. I found out there was. I can afford it. I bought it.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Old 12-12-2006, 09:44 AM

I think a lot of guys simply do it because they can. Maybe they're just into collecting archery equipment.

But I also think that there are some guys that are really afected by marketing scemes, thinking that just because the new years model came out, their bow magically became slower and less accurate, almost overnight.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:47 AM

I think a lot of guys simply do it because they can.
Exactly.

If you can afford it, why not? Each year there is new technology/innovations to be had, why not purchase the newest equipment if you can afford to?

Personally, I can't. I've had my bow since 2003 and I plan on upgrading this spring/summer.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most do it because they can. Some bought a new bow last year because it was advertised as the latest & greatest. Only to find out they do not like/love there new bow. Some will never be happy.
Kind of like buying a new car every year or two. When you add it up it just does not make sense.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's also a lot of gear heads. They just love playing with new bows. Setting them up, trying to tweak out a few more fps and all other sorts of oddities. For them the acquisition is half the fun. Kind of like the guy who can't settle on one woman I guess. LOL.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: hldeerhunter

I don't remember if i started a thread like this before, but I decided to post it anyways.

The mentality of todays bowhunters has amazed me. I am specifically referring to the trend of purchasing a new bow every year. Now keep in mind that I am not trying to bash anyone by this thread, I just don't understand it.

I bought a new bow in 2000. The bow is a Darton Mountain that has 80% let off, 60-70 pounds draw, 35" ata, single cam, light weight, and capable of shooting around 300 fps. I bought this bow because my previous bow had energy wheels, was heavy, very long ata, and very slow. I wanted to upgrade...oh yeah...my old bow was purchased in 1994.

To me if you have a bow that is severly out-dated then buy a new bow. But, if you have a bow that is only a year old...what good does it do to buy a new one? The brand spankin new, greatest thing since sliced bread, better than individually wrapped cheese slices model can not have that many improvements over the model from the year before. Plus with bows costing around $500-$700 how can people afford to purchase a new bow year after year?

To me, and this is just my opinion, it does not make sence. My bow is six years old and can still compete with anything on the market today. I have no plans on buying a new one for a very long time...if ever. If you do buy a new bow every year, more power to ya. Give me some insite as to why. Thanks.
Until last year I was shooting a PSE pulsar made in the 80's. It was my good luck bow because I shot my bear with it...

I should have kept it because I can't shoot a darn thing with my new one. I am looking to retire my "new" bow for another new bow... But my old "new" bow was given to me and is a cheap POS fred bear
Old 12-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Spike

I always buy a new to me bow every year or two because I have a few freinds that are this way,I just wait till the end of the season and have 300 or 400 sitting idle just for this reason.Then I can shoot the new bow and see if I like it or sell it myself.This just doesnt happen with bows either I have bought alot of second hand guns that the person that owned them is going to get the next best thing and they sell them cheap.I am ready for the paper to have all of the deals in it now that the regular season is over.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wish I had the money that some guys toss around on new equipment. Must be nice. Although I can't understan it, it does keep the economy rolling so that's cool.

Quick Reply: Something that sticks in my craw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.