HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Something that sticks in my craw. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/169794-something-sticks-my-craw.html)

hldeerhunter 12-12-2006 09:27 AM

Something that sticks in my craw.

I don't remember if i started a thread like this before, but I decided to post it anyways.

The mentality of todays bowhunters has amazed me. I am specifically referring to the trend of purchasing a new bow every year. Now keep in mind that I am not trying to bash anyone by this thread, I just don't understand it.

I bought a new bow in 2000. The bow is a Darton Mountain that has 80% let off, 60-70 pounds draw, 35" ata, single cam, light weight, and capable of shooting around 300 fps. I bought this bow because my previous bow had energy wheels, was heavy, very long ata, and very slow. I wanted to upgrade...oh yeah...my old bow was purchased in 1994.

To me if you have a bow that is severly out-dated then buy a new bow. But, if you have a bow that is only a year old...what good does it do to buy a new one? The brand spankin new, greatest thing since sliced bread, better than individually wrapped cheese slices model can not have that many improvements over the model from the year before. Plus with bows costing around $500-$700 how can people afford to purchase a new bow year after year?

To me, and this is just my opinion, it does not make sence. My bow is six years old and can still compete with anything on the market today. I have no plans on buying a new one for a very long time...if ever. If you do buy a new bow every year, more power to ya. Give me some insite as to why. Thanks.

huntingson 12-12-2006 09:32 AM

RE: Something that sticks in my craw.

I bought my Mathews in 2001 or 2002 I can't remeber but I feel the same way you do about when I will buy a new bow. However, I buy at least one new gun a year and most of them end up just sitting in my gun case. I just love guns, specifically handguns and military rifles (one lasting effect from the Marine Corps). Some people love bows like that, so heck why not? I know you are not bashing them, I just know how they feel in a way.

GMMAT 12-12-2006 09:33 AM

I bought a new Switchback, last year. I bought my son a new Browning Illusion for Christmas, last year.

I shot a lot of bows....to see if there was anything I liked better than mine. I found out there was. I can afford it. I bought it.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

il coyote 12-12-2006 09:44 AM

I think a lot of guys simply do it because they can. Maybe they're just into collecting archery equipment.

But I also think that there are some guys that are really afected by marketing scemes, thinking that just because the new years model came out, their bow magically became slower and less accurate, almost overnight.

Washington Hunter 12-12-2006 09:47 AM

I think a lot of guys simply do it because they can.
Exactly.

If you can afford it, why not? Each year there is new technology/innovations to be had, why not purchase the newest equipment if you can afford to?

Personally, I can't. I've had my bow since 2003 and I plan on upgrading this spring/summer.

Wolf killer 12-12-2006 09:48 AM

Most do it because they can. Some bought a new bow last year because it was advertised as the latest & greatest. Only to find out they do not like/love there new bow. Some will never be happy.
Kind of like buying a new car every year or two. When you add it up it just does not make sense.

Talondale 12-12-2006 09:50 AM

There's also a lot of gear heads. They just love playing with new bows. Setting them up, trying to tweak out a few more fps and all other sorts of oddities. For them the acquisition is half the fun. Kind of like the guy who can't settle on one woman I guess. LOL.

salty 12-12-2006 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: hldeerhunter

I don't remember if i started a thread like this before, but I decided to post it anyways.

The mentality of todays bowhunters has amazed me. I am specifically referring to the trend of purchasing a new bow every year. Now keep in mind that I am not trying to bash anyone by this thread, I just don't understand it.

I bought a new bow in 2000. The bow is a Darton Mountain that has 80% let off, 60-70 pounds draw, 35" ata, single cam, light weight, and capable of shooting around 300 fps. I bought this bow because my previous bow had energy wheels, was heavy, very long ata, and very slow. I wanted to upgrade...oh yeah...my old bow was purchased in 1994.

To me if you have a bow that is severly out-dated then buy a new bow. But, if you have a bow that is only a year old...what good does it do to buy a new one? The brand spankin new, greatest thing since sliced bread, better than individually wrapped cheese slices model can not have that many improvements over the model from the year before. Plus with bows costing around $500-$700 how can people afford to purchase a new bow year after year?

To me, and this is just my opinion, it does not make sence. My bow is six years old and can still compete with anything on the market today. I have no plans on buying a new one for a very long time...if ever. If you do buy a new bow every year, more power to ya. Give me some insite as to why. Thanks.
Until last year I was shooting a PSE pulsar made in the 80's. It was my good luck bow because I shot my bear with it...

I should have kept it because I can't shoot a darn thing with my new one. I am looking to retire my "new" bow for another new bow... But my old "new" bow was given to me and is a cheap POS fred bear

MACHINIST 12-12-2006 09:58 AM

I always buy a new to me bow every year or two because I have a few freinds that are this way,I just wait till the end of the season and have 300 or 400 sitting idle just for this reason.Then I can shoot the new bow and see if I like it or sell it myself.This just doesnt happen with bows either I have bought alot of second hand guns that the person that owned them is going to get the next best thing and they sell them cheap.I am ready for the paper to have all of the deals in it now that the regular season is over.

rybohunter 12-12-2006 10:03 AM

I wish I had the money that some guys toss around on new equipment. Must be nice. Although I can't understan it, it does keep the economy rolling so that's cool.

bowtech die hard 12-12-2006 10:08 AM

I just like seeing the differences from year to year. I bought a brand new bow every year from 2002 until this past jan.

I'm not going to be buying anything else for a couple years I don't think just because I'm satisfied with my tribute. That said, If I come up with some extra $ I'm definitley buying one of bowtech's new ones, probably the gaurdian, just to have it.

To me I guess I just do it because I love having lots of stuff to choose from. Plus it's nice to have back-up bows too. I guess I'd consider myself a bit of a collector. I've got a PSE Spyder V4 which was my first bow I got when I was about 12, then I got a Mathews MQ1 probably mathews best bow they ever produced, and I still love that bow. Been through a few bowtechs, and I'm up to the tribute now. I guess I just love having lots of stuff.

burniegoeasily 12-12-2006 10:11 AM

I stick with my compounds. As for trad bows, there is something about them. I get an itch to buy one almost every day. I have the ones I hunt with, but just cant pass up on a nice long bow or nice recurve. Its an addiction. By the way, I do not get rid of a bow. Well I did get rid ofa fewof my older compounds. A 1986 hoyt, a 1982 black bear, and a 1982 pearson. Kinda out dated. But I got and still use a few trad bows from the 70s.

YooperMike 12-12-2006 10:15 AM

Not sure why it bothers you, but whatever! I bought my OG last year because it was time for a new bow, although I kept myold one because it was custom made. I guess I agree with the others who say, if you can do it,why not!

Madjac20 12-12-2006 10:15 AM

If you can afford to...why not. Me, on the otherhand, am satisfied with what I have now and even if I could afford a new one I'd probably wait till the one I have is wore slap-dab-out (not to the point of being a danger to myself or others). I don't like having to get use to something new every year. Just my thoughts.

txjourneyman 12-12-2006 10:49 AM

It is a piece of equipment. Some want and can afford the hot new set-up. My truck is a 95 model. My buddy"s truck is a 06 and he wants to trade for an 07. Why? Same answer as a new bow I guess. He wants to and he can.

GR8atta2d 12-12-2006 11:01 AM

Well I don't see anything wrong with it. Heck I'd love to buy the new bowtech Gaurdian. But I just bought an Allegiance last year and have kids.If you can afford it, do it. Nothing wrong with having the latest and greatest. People collect guns..why not bows??

Doubled 150 12-12-2006 08:44 PM

I'm not one to update every year. Up until this year, I used a PSE Buckmaster from 1996. I loved it and killed a lot of deer with it. My dad has an old Mathews Solocam with 80% let-off, so I tried it this year. I've decided to update this coming springto something new. I hope to have my new bow for another ten years.

huntingdiva1 12-12-2006 09:15 PM

I do it because I can and I want too.:D I shoot my bows all the time. About every other day or so and like to havevariety. I like trying and owning the latest, greatest stuff. My passion is bowhunting so that is why I get into it so much. I hunt all year roundso Ilike knowing what all is out there in bows. I been bow-hunting since September 2006 and have already gone through three bows. I liked my first one and second one, but, LOVE my new Vectrix.

WBowhunt 12-13-2006 04:50 AM

I say to each their own, but those of us who do not do, or can not afford to do should be greatful that others can for two reasons, It keeps the archery market rolling, but more importantly it gives the less fortunate hard workin' folks an opportunity to buy a barely used bow off some of these folks that trade up evey year. So instead of spending $700 on a 2007 bow, you could get an 06 that some else no longer wants for say $450 or $500. So maybe you should thank those that can do it? Just a thought.
I justordered the new Hoyt Vectrix XL as a retirement gift to myself after 22 years in the Military, but it has been 7 years since I last purchased a bow and to be honest there is absolutely nothing woring with my MT Sport. I took a really nice deer with this year. I just decidedit was time
When I was in my early 20's with no money and no brains, I was switching every year to the hot new trend, the market always made you feel it would make you shoot better. I was livin' on peanut butter and fluff just to be able to get the latest and greatest. It took me a long time to realize that the bow and all the accessories was only about 20% of ability to shoot accurately. They say a computer is only as dumb as the user and any bow only shoots as well as the archer. With that said, archery is mostly a mental game and if getting the latest and greatest gives someone the confidence mentally that they will shoot better, more power to them.

furgitter 12-13-2006 06:41 AM

I hope you dont think anyone who hunts deer needs to have a beard,no teeth,a beat up pickup truck and a big fat wife (who is also his cousin).If you do fine with your equipment,and you are happy with it,suite yourself.I hope this unsticks your craw.And quit worrying about what the Joans family is doing.

petasux 12-13-2006 07:02 AM

I started bowhunting quite a few years ago.I started with a very used Bear double camthat our local archery dealer was nice enough to sell me for almost nothing.Up untill 2 years ago I bought a different bow every year, they were all used, they all killed deer, and each one was just a little newer then the one before.If I had the money Id probably be one of those guys youre refering to, I just enjoy shooting different bows, setting them up, trying different accesories, sights, rests, etc...The nicest bow I ever owned was a competition model Hoyt, it was a double cam but Ive never shot anything that was quite as smooth as that one and still kept an amazing speed.It was older then two of my kids:DBy buying these cheap used bows every year it enabled e to do a lot of work on them myself and not worry about screwwing up a high dollar bow in the process, I learned quite a bit about how they work and what to do if they dont through trial and error.Ive finally broke down and bought a cheap Buckmasters single cam brand new a few years ago, I wont buy another one till this ones wore out more then lkely. One thing I have noticed, it doesnt kill a deer and deader then the old Bear I started with any years ago;)

hldeerhunter 12-13-2006 08:47 AM

Thanks for the insight. I wasn't thinking about the guys that just like to do it to try out the new product and test it out. I have done things like that before. The more I thought about it the more I realize that I do the same thing, just on a different scale. I can't remember how many different brands of broadheads I have shot, how many rounds of ammo I have purchases (just to try out), or how many different types of sunglasses I have owned.

I thank you for your input and now I see some logic behind it. Good luck huntin all.

Oh yeah, FURGITTER something I want to say to you. I in no way meant to offend anyone...and it seems that I hit a nerve with you. I, of course, don't think that all hunters are the sterio-typical "hicks" from the ozarks. I myself have been a hunter my whole life (if you haven't figured that out already) and I do not fit that description. I am happy with my equipment and don't plan to change...as for the jone's, I don't care what they do...never did...I was just curious with this thread.

MO Archer 12-13-2006 08:48 AM

What is a CRAW? I hope yours gets better so you can stop making lame threads about things that shouldn't matter to you unless you are jealous.

Sylvan 12-13-2006 09:12 AM

Why should it stick in your "craw"? Why let it bother you? There are lot's of people that can and dodrop $1000 or more for a bow every year and think nothing of it. I would bet for many, what they spend on archery tackle is a drop in the bucket compared to their total outlay for hunting. Start factoring in buying property, vehicles, atv's, travel expense, lodging etc etc etc and what a bow costs shrinks to insignificance. If that's your thing and you can afford it then why not?

I'm not wealthy, but even for me my bow isn't a big expense compared to my total hunting outlay. Taxes alone on my littlepropertywhich I bought and keep only because I'm a hunter is $1500 a year. Factor in what I paid for the land 15 years ago and divide it by the number of years I'll be alive or physically able to use it for hunting and the price of a bow starts looking pretty small. Now add my atv, my truck to carry my atv, shotguns and oh yea, I built a little cabin on the land. No big deal of a cabin but I put close to $10,000 in it.

For sure I don't buy a new bow every year, but I sure won't be complaining about what they cost when I do buy oneand I sure won't be complaining if somebody else buys one more often than me. In the greater scheme of hunting costs, I think a bow is pretty cheap.

TeeJay 12-13-2006 09:40 AM

Who really fricking cares!

MOTOWNHONKEY 12-13-2006 09:44 AM

I'm gonna buy 2 this year just to drive you over the edge.

Germ 12-13-2006 09:44 AM

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Who really fricking cares!
Amen Teejay

I am going to buy two new bows this year now[:-] When I do make sure you post when I did so, since it bothers you, LOL

Germ 12-13-2006 09:45 AM

motown we posted the samething at the same time, I guess smart azz's think alike[8D]

hldeerhunter 12-13-2006 10:08 AM

If you guys are buying all these bows would you buy me one??? Please???

hldeerhunter 12-13-2006 10:09 AM

Oh and I guess you didn't see my reply at the top of page 3

furgitter 12-13-2006 11:01 AM

Thanks deerhunter, i feel better now.LOL
No ofense taken,and i wish you a successfull and safe late seasion.

hldeerhunter 12-13-2006 12:11 PM

same to ya. whack one...I already did

tsoc 12-13-2006 08:31 PM

Everyone should buy what they care to.Personally once I have good equipment that performs in the manner I need it to I see no reason to change.I will more readily invest in things that will increse my effectiveness in the field,like the best clothing and boots that I can afford,any thing else that enables me to hunt harder and longer.My 2002 Ultra tec still gets the job done quite well.

NCYankee 12-16-2006 09:51 AM

I bought a new bow last year! It has 50-60 lb. limbs which at the moment are maxed out. I'm approaching fifty and my last bow had 60-70 lb. limbs, which would have become a problem for me later in life, due to the fact that I hunt in some real cold weather sometimes. (Sit in a tree on a 25 degree day for 4-5 hours and try to draw your bow, you'll know what I mean!). Also, the newer bows are shorter! Unless I drop my Trykon out of a tree and break it, this is the bow they'll bury me with!

Killer_Primate 12-16-2006 10:37 AM

I say, just switch hands and shoot the bow you have. See what happens?

I was given a high country bow from a friend who was given the bow from his son. My friend had never shot it and didn't know anything about bows. I took the bow, started shooting it, with no prior experience with bows. Started adjusting things with no help. I was finally able to shoot the bow consistently from the ground and from an elevated position.

After my first season (in which I killed a few deer with it) my wife’s uncle came to the house and we got to talking about shooting the bow. When he looked at it he said "I didn't know you were left handed", and I replied, "I'm not". He laughed for a while and informed me that I was shooting a left-handed bow. He then asked to watch me shot it. Afterwards he said "well that's a first". I said "do you think I should buy another one"? He replied, "well you’re shooting that one real good, up to you". That is actually a really good compliment, since he is a very good shot with a bow. He hunts pheasant with a recurve.
I've been shooting it ever since, and it shoots straight every time. Biggest pit fall I've been able to notice is if you were to need to take a second shot quickly. Knocking an arrow is awkward. But I’ve never been in a situation (yet) to have to load it quickly.

I’ve since compared left vs. right-handed bows, and there isn’t much of a difference. Only things I’ve seen are the sights are mounted on the other side and the arrow is placed on the opposite side. But the critical stuff is all the same, the string, peep sight, arrow and pins are all in a straight line. The off set of the bow blocks my sight picture to the left, where as if I were shooting a right-handed bow, it would simply be blocked to the right.

I do realize that this isn’t optimal, but I think you could at least give it a shot to see if it feels natural at all and go from there. Never know, afterward you might form the opinion that shooting left-handed is out of the question, or it may confirm that this is the way you should be shooting. If so, at that time you can decide to keep the one you've got and shoot it backwards, or buy a left handed bow. But for now, I'll keep shooting my left handed bow, but shoot it right handed.

I wonder if the American indians had left and right-handed bows?

Good luck,
KP
I'm not planning to replace the one I'm shooting. It is supposed to be primative, right?

furgitter 12-16-2006 10:51 AM

I think the Indians killed there left handed children at birth.

Killer_Primate 12-16-2006 11:01 AM

At birth - how did they know?

furgitter 12-16-2006 06:47 PM

You will get used to my sence of humor killer.Youre sharp though,noone else caught that.LOL