HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Something that sticks in my craw. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/169794-something-sticks-my-craw.html)

furgitter 12-13-2006 11:01 AM

RE: Something that sticks in my craw.

Thanks deerhunter, i feel better now.LOL
No ofense taken,and i wish you a successfull and safe late seasion.

hldeerhunter 12-13-2006 12:11 PM

same to ya. whack one...I already did

tsoc 12-13-2006 08:31 PM

Everyone should buy what they care to.Personally once I have good equipment that performs in the manner I need it to I see no reason to change.I will more readily invest in things that will increse my effectiveness in the field,like the best clothing and boots that I can afford,any thing else that enables me to hunt harder and longer.My 2002 Ultra tec still gets the job done quite well.

NCYankee 12-16-2006 09:51 AM

I bought a new bow last year! It has 50-60 lb. limbs which at the moment are maxed out. I'm approaching fifty and my last bow had 60-70 lb. limbs, which would have become a problem for me later in life, due to the fact that I hunt in some real cold weather sometimes. (Sit in a tree on a 25 degree day for 4-5 hours and try to draw your bow, you'll know what I mean!). Also, the newer bows are shorter! Unless I drop my Trykon out of a tree and break it, this is the bow they'll bury me with!

Killer_Primate 12-16-2006 10:37 AM

I say, just switch hands and shoot the bow you have. See what happens?

I was given a high country bow from a friend who was given the bow from his son. My friend had never shot it and didn't know anything about bows. I took the bow, started shooting it, with no prior experience with bows. Started adjusting things with no help. I was finally able to shoot the bow consistently from the ground and from an elevated position.

After my first season (in which I killed a few deer with it) my wife’s uncle came to the house and we got to talking about shooting the bow. When he looked at it he said "I didn't know you were left handed", and I replied, "I'm not". He laughed for a while and informed me that I was shooting a left-handed bow. He then asked to watch me shot it. Afterwards he said "well that's a first". I said "do you think I should buy another one"? He replied, "well you’re shooting that one real good, up to you". That is actually a really good compliment, since he is a very good shot with a bow. He hunts pheasant with a recurve.
I've been shooting it ever since, and it shoots straight every time. Biggest pit fall I've been able to notice is if you were to need to take a second shot quickly. Knocking an arrow is awkward. But I’ve never been in a situation (yet) to have to load it quickly.

I’ve since compared left vs. right-handed bows, and there isn’t much of a difference. Only things I’ve seen are the sights are mounted on the other side and the arrow is placed on the opposite side. But the critical stuff is all the same, the string, peep sight, arrow and pins are all in a straight line. The off set of the bow blocks my sight picture to the left, where as if I were shooting a right-handed bow, it would simply be blocked to the right.

I do realize that this isn’t optimal, but I think you could at least give it a shot to see if it feels natural at all and go from there. Never know, afterward you might form the opinion that shooting left-handed is out of the question, or it may confirm that this is the way you should be shooting. If so, at that time you can decide to keep the one you've got and shoot it backwards, or buy a left handed bow. But for now, I'll keep shooting my left handed bow, but shoot it right handed.

I wonder if the American indians had left and right-handed bows?

Good luck,
KP
I'm not planning to replace the one I'm shooting. It is supposed to be primative, right?

furgitter 12-16-2006 10:51 AM

I think the Indians killed there left handed children at birth.

Killer_Primate 12-16-2006 11:01 AM

At birth - how did they know?

furgitter 12-16-2006 06:47 PM

You will get used to my sence of humor killer.Youre sharp though,noone else caught that.LOL