Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Late archery season stand >

Late archery season stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late archery season stand

Old 12-11-2006, 06:32 PM

Default Late archery season stand

Hey guys i plan on hunting the late archery season here in western pa. I missed the big one in the first archery season not sure if he made it through the gun season. Well anyway im trying to figure out what the best location for a stand would be to get a buck. I heard food sources are good for late seasons but i dunno which food source i should turn too. The area i hunt have white oaks but i dont think they harvested this year. Also we have crab apples i think that is the only food sources we have around except for the mineral sites we have created over the years. So where do u guys think i should put my stand please help me i want a buck so bad.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Late archery season stand

I am no expert on late season bowhunting, but I have done quite a bit of it here in Southwestern pa. One thing I have noticed is that in my area the deer do concentrate on the food sources. Usually we are well into the bitter cold weather and most of the deer movement was mid afternoon. I guess because it is usually the warmer part of the day. they must be trying to conserve energy (body heat) since the food is scarce. More input less output. Hope you find that buck!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:57 PM

Thanks treedreamer anybody know what my best food source would be or anyother tips?

Old 12-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: racer965

i think that is the only food sources we have around except for the mineral sites we have created over the years. So where do u guys think i should put my stand please help me i want a buck so bad.
Your mineral sites that you have created over the years are baiting and thusly ILLEGAL!.

Hunt funnels and food sources. Your crab apples are prolly gone as well as the white oaks. It's time to look for other sources.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:10 PM

Put a12v floodlight in your tree on a footswitch,(kidding) or drive down a dark wooded road - you problably have a better chance hitting one with the truck. I think our bucks hide in underground tunnels until spring.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:19 PM

haha what mineral sites were u talking about
Old 12-11-2006, 07:43 PM

anyone else wanna help me out here??
Old 12-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Racer, you would be surprised at how many more bucks are going to be visible in the late season. 2 of my friends both scored on larger bucks last year that had completely vanished off the face of this earth during the late part of bow season and gun season. I have been hunting a particular buck that I only have seen 3 times all season. My hopes are high as well. FIND THE FOOD!!!!!
Old 12-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: racer965

haha what mineral sites were u talking about
What mineral sites am I talking about? Do I need to quote your exact sentence again, here reread your thread.

Also we have crab apples i think that is the only food sources we have around except for the mineral sites we have created over the years.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you have any Honeysuckle , Winter Wheat , Burch Trees or confier growing around your hunting area , those would be considered a winter food source.
You might have to do a little scouting around to find them but it should be easy if there is snow on the ground and you see alot of tracks.

Quick Reply: Late archery season stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.