Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My buddy shot a 6 point DOE!!!! >

My buddy shot a 6 point DOE!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My buddy shot a 6 point DOE!!!!

Old 12-12-2006, 09:56 AM

Default RE: My buddy shot a 6 point DOE!!!!

It is rare, but does can grow antlers. This happens when something goes wrong during the development of the fetus. There are several things that can happen when the development goes wrong. The doe can grow antlers or it can be a he/she deer (being a deer with both sex organs or partially devoloped opposite sex organs.) Usually if a doe grows antlers they stay in velvet and are not shed. However, sometimes the antlers harden and are shed. It all depends on how much testosterone is in the deer's system. A he/she deer will grow antlers and it is a toss up if they will be shed or not. They harden, but may continuously grow year round. Mother nature is a weird old bird.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:01 AM

Default RE: My buddy shot a 6 point DOE!!!!

I have heard of this also, never seen one, but this was a good read. Keep it up guys.