Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Seated or Standing? >

Seated or Standing?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Seated or Standing?

Old 12-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Seated or Standing?

Man, I thought you were talking about taking a leak when I first saw the post. But I stand for the shot also![:-]
Old 12-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will shoot both ways but I would guess 80% of the time I am standing.. Have been busted due to standing an the wrong time, mostly when I first started bowhunting but there are times when your better off just staying put.. Practice these shot though.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Typical Buck

Every deer I've shot up til this year I have been standing on stand 16 years of bow hunting. This year shot my firstdeer off the ground @ 10yds and I was crouched up almost in fetal position it was a very awkward shot but it was right on the money. That said I prefer standing but I am now addicted to hunting on the ground eye level with the deer.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a climber with arm rests but if the deer are in front of me and not on the sides i can take the shot. I love sitting down and shooting since its one thing less i got to worry about. Then when im sitting and pulled back i put my elbow on my knee so its just like a rest. That way you dont move as much.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Spike

I have done it both ways and actually find it more comfortable to shoot sitting. However, my range of coverage is far more limited in the sitting position.

I prefer to stand: first, I need to watch 360 degrees which I find to be much easier standing. Second, I can position for a shot over about 270 degrees including some while facing the tree as opposed to at most 120 degrees while sitting. Also, it is much easier to position for a very close shot while standing.

Like others, I try to avoid the need to stand when the deer appear by spending the prime time portion of the hunt already standing.

Most of my hunting lately has been from ladder stands. I buy the cheap ($50) stands at Dick's because there is a very good chance of a more valuable stand getting stolen, but I would much prefer a more expensive model with a flip-up seat. My Lone Wolf hand climber is supposed to be suitable for flipping up the seat, but then I would have to give up the extra security of strapping the seat to the platform. A flip up seat arrangement would be a huge improvement in comfort: I could stand and lean against the tree.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

stand
Old 12-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can shot both ways but I like to stand becuase i shoot 3D standing, but i like sitting when siting in a lock on becuase i feel more stable. If i am standing then i feel alittle shaky.