Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gardening practices?? >

Gardening practices??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gardening practices??

Old 12-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What are those Big green Balls??

I'm not feeding them, the trees are! Second of all I know how to utalize the conditions here. About two weeks ago we got 18" of snow. It got really cold really fast. And yeah they always eat them but more so when food is scarce.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

JimPic your right there, they do make excellent bows. I work with a guy that makes his own out of Osage and he also kills deer with it.
And around here we call em hedge apples.
Dan
ORIGINAL: JimPic

the wood also makes excellant bows
Old 12-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Not baiting, same priciple, but by law not baiting. Why kick them in a pile, you want them spread out so they have to look around for them. They know where the tree is, they can smell them. No need in a presentation, they know what they are doing.

I agree, don't pile them up, you'lljust be spreading YOUR scent around. Plus by manipulating them into a pile and hunting over it MAY be considered baiting. Don't mess around in Illinois!!
Old 12-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

JimPic your right there, they do make excellent bows. I work with a guy that makes his own out of Osage and he also kills deer with it.
Dan

These trees are everywhere around here, how does one go about pickingthe correct limb to make a bow out of, and how does one make then said bow? I would love to have a long bow, and if I could make it myself out of something local, that would be awesome.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tell you what. Im off work till thursday night and then go in on the grave yard shift. The guy i know works days right now and i will not see him for around two weeks. If you dont get your answer here i will ask him some ??? for you. and get back to you.
Dan
ORIGINAL: IL_BOW_MAN

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Dan

These trees are everywhere around here, how does one go about pickingthe correct limb to make a bow out of, and how does one make then said bow? I would love to have a long bow, and if I could make it myself out of something local, that would be awesome.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't hunt under that tree without a hardhat..........I would say if it's placed there by you it's considered baiting.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osage-orange

http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/1995/11/06.html
Old 12-12-2006, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

well baiting or not I'll figure it out.
That would be pretty cool to make my own bow!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I actually have a stand in a hedge apple tree. Once I shot at a doe and shot right under her. She just jumped a little and then went on about her business. I nocked another arrow and shot her. I'm convinced she thought the arrow hitting the ground under her was a hedge apple falling.

Originally, they were planted in this area for shelter belts and used for fence posts. If you find a hedge post still in the ground, it could be 100 years old and the part under the ground will be yellow on the inside. They get so hard you can't drive a nail in them. You have to use wire to attach the barbed wire to the post.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its not baiting it would be the same thing as you hunting out of an acorn tree.

Quick Reply: Gardening practices??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.