Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting the property line >

Hunting the property line

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting the property line

Old 12-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting the property line

I need some advice. The chunk of land thatonly i have permission tohunt (approx. 33 acres) has a very heavily used trail right on the property line. The trail is technically on the property i have permission to hunt, but i can clearly see 1 or 2 "no trespassing" signs from the trail. It's getting late in the season, and i would really like to get another doe or two. I believe my chances would be greater if i hunted the trail, but i would worry about the deer running onto the neighboring property. What would you do in this situation. By the way, this isnt the type of property where i see a dozen deer every day. I'm lucky to see 2 or 3 a week in the spot i am now. Im thinkin of headin out there and checkin to see if there is a name or number on the signs so i could contact the owner and ask for permission to track a deer on their property. Im just wondering what you would do in my shoes. thanks

Schobs
Old 12-09-2006, 09:16 PM

Default RE: Hunting the property line

Get a map and find out who the landowner is, or ask the fella who gave you permission to hunt, he will know who owns the land next to em.Call and introduce yourself and tellem that you are hunting the next chunk over and ask if a hit deer crossed over if you had the go ahead to track it. Better get that established asap ather than trying to get a hold of him the evening you arrow one, he's not home, you go and track it and he catches ya.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Fork Horn

yeah , i agree and if you hit it off, offer some meat up as a peace offering.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:18 PM

Definitely, you have to contact the other property owner first, you may even want to let him no that your thinking of hunting the property line or close to it. Some people get sketchy about stuff like that, if he were to walk by and happen to see you hunting the property line he may create a bad day in the deer woods, just don't know about people.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:17 AM

You should find the other owner first. I agree with the others. Could turn ugly.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

All good advice. The one thing we cannot stop or help is where a deer will go after the shot. It's always a good idea to know your adjoining landowners thoughts when hunting any given area so you have all the bases covered and know what to expect. That way you can avoid unfortunate circumstances.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:05 AM

yeah you should contact the owmer of the land
Old 12-10-2006, 05:13 PM

If you ask and don't get permission, and the deer does go over there, you can call a wildlife officer and they can sometimes talk the landowner into it.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couple of ideas:

You can get the landowner's name from the county tax maps. My county's maps are on the internet. Call/visit the court house if necessary.

If I was going to go to the trouble of finding the landowner, I would arrange a face-to-face meeting and show up with a hunting permission slip in my pocket and ask to hunt first. It never hurts to ask and most people don't want to disappoint. You can always ask about tracking if the hunting request is denied.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Learn the law for your state on recovery rights.
Here in NY, you CANNOT enter anothers property for recovery even with DEC or other LEO.
We have a family with 5 acres bordered on 3 sides by us.
They have stands in both corners facing us.
We told them they could recover any deer shot on THEIR land that crossed into us.
Last 3 blood trails showed they were shooting the deer running the ridge 75 yds onto us.
They now have been told they are not allowed on us under any circumstance including recovery.
If they do, they go to court.

Steve

Quick Reply: Hunting the property line

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.