HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Calling late season deer?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/169003-calling-late-season-deer.html)

GregH 12-07-2006 05:12 PM

Calling late season deer??

Does any one have experience with calling late season deer? If so, what calls and tactics do you use? Please name your state.

*JB* 12-07-2006 05:29 PM

RE: Calling late season deer??

Greg, this is also something I was wondering while setting in my stand last night. What calls have you used that have worked?

Icedragon 12-07-2006 05:32 PM

As far as I know bucks just want to be left alone in the stage of the post rut. They are tired and just want to eat. Would calls even be effective? By the way im from Michigan where snow has finally set in!

SRBowman 12-07-2006 05:38 PM

Sorry GREGH I cant answer cause I was wondering the samething also.

Rob/PA Bowyer 12-07-2006 05:43 PM

It's time to go back to the basics. Although the second rut hasn't started in most areas bleats are still an effective calling techinic. Deer bleat year round and a buck just might wonder over to check and see if he found himself a late estrous doe. Other contact calls such as doe grunts, soft non aggressive buck grunts and contact bleats can also be affective.

This is the tough time of year to call deer over to us. The deer have been pressured for months now and called too, spooked, winded hunters, shot at etc....they are spooky. Funnels and food sources are the best bet. Soft calling can work but I rarely try unless it's a last effort at a deer that won't come in anyway, even then it's soft and I watch the deer's body language.

Icedragon 12-07-2006 05:49 PM

When approximatly does the second rut begin (in most areas)?

dukemichaels 12-07-2006 05:53 PM

I am a deer grunter.. that is to say I call deer or attempt to call deer throughout the season here in Illinois. There are very few occasions I do not call.

That being said, during the late season I really only call when a deer is in sight. I no longer call "blind" as I know deer are already pretty pressured at this point of the season. Reading the body language is the best advice I can give. A couple of bucks traveling together.. I'll grunt softly (just enough for the deer to hear) say 2-3 times. Followed immediatly by a soft doe bleat that drags on a bit. (I use the truetalker).

A buck that's by himself, feeding with a relaxed disposition. I like to get more aggresive.. Grunt, bleat, Grunt, Grunt, bleat......follow the buck's lead...then snort wheeze. I've called in many late season bucks this way, but scared some too. Hope this helps some.

GregH 12-07-2006 05:55 PM

I've only taken 2 big bucks in Dec. and I have never used a call during this time. I'm seeing a bit of chasing going on right now where some of the bigger bucks are checking the fawns. The second breeding period I believe. I've always been afraid to use calls during this time because the bucks seem to bemore cautious. Also, I think that dominance is pretty well established. I saw a big 4 1/2 that I'd seen earlier in Nov., turn away from an even bigger buck and let him have the fawn he was checking. This 4 1/2 was no slouch, a big 9 pt, 140+ with a busted off g-2. He wasn't afraid to fight. But he didn't even protest. So this is the reason I'm asking about calls. I thought about trying some light grunts along with a few can bleats, but wanted to get some input before I did.

Thanks for the replies. Oops... I'm in N. Ill..

BTW you guys are fast! Kind of answered this post before I got it posted!

dukemichaels 12-07-2006 05:56 PM

I totally agree with Rob, watch the body language of the deer. Then call accordingly.;)

Rob/PA Bowyer 12-07-2006 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Icedragon

When approximatly does the second rut begin (in most areas)?
28 days after the peak of the first rut....I know that's a generalization and in the Northern Hemisphere like MI and PA, 28 days after the 15th of Nov give or take.